The Not So Hard Decisions

The following morning I bid my parents goodbye, and told them I would visit again soon

The following morning I bid my parents goodbye, and told them I would visit again soon. After an uneventful train ride I arrive at the Emerald City Train Station, and hire a carriage to take me back to the palace.

I was greeted by my personal maid Bessie, and she quickly helped me get my belongs to my room. "Lady Glinda, your Goodness, I apologize about not having your room dusted. I hadn't gotten around to it yet as I wasn't expecting you home yet." She sounded worried I would be upset, and so I put her mind at ease. "Bessie, it's perfectly fine. I myself hadn't planned on returning yet. I only made up my mind to do so the other day."

She relaxes slightly, and begins taking care of my belongings. "How was your visit? I mean, did you find the answers you were looking for?"

For a moment I was afraid. What if she is just wants to see if she can figure out if Elphie alive so she can turn her in? I quickly dismiss the fear as I remember that Bessie knew everything about Elphie and me. She had been there through it all to help me, and she was also so excited and thrilled when she found out that Elphie could be alive. The amulet I wore had proved over and over and again she never lied. You se, I have a rare magical amulet that will go from pure white to the blackest of black if people I am talking to are being dishonest. Never once had it changed from white to black for her.

I smile shutting the door and turning around to face her. "Oh Bessie!" My eye shine and I struggle to keep from squealing in excitement. "Bessie, the letter from Momsie was true! Elphie is alive! She is really and truly alive!" Bessie smiles at me just as excited as me, and we quickly hug. She dances me in a quick circle and grins. "Oh Glinda, I am so happy for you! Why are you here though and not with her?"

My smile slowly fades and I slump into a chair. "Please sit down." I tell her pointing to one of the overstuffed chairs near me. She does, and I tell her everything that happened and all I know of Elphaba.

"Glinda, that terrible!" She says sounding so upset. "You should still be with her though. Maybe you could help her."

"Bessie, it's not that easy. I'm married to Chuffery." I sighs rubbing my forehead.

"So, you don't love him. You never really have." She says it so bluntly I look up startled and slightly upset with her. I go to scold her, and yet, I can't because she is absolutely correct. "Glinda, leave him. You deserve to be happy."

"And what of my position as ruler of Oz?"

She shrugs, and stands. "That one I can't answer, but you need to decide soon. You will drive yourself crazy otherwise." She gives a slight curtsy. "Now if you would please excuse me, I have other work to attend to." I nod and she leaves the room.

Bessie is right. You don't love Chuffery. You married him because you had to, but you never loved him, and it's strange, but I am pretty sure he never loved you. He just loved your political position as ruler. Glinda, even you don't enjoy that position like you once thought you would.

With that I sigh, stand, and give a determined nod as I look in the mirror. "I made my decision." I tell my reflection. "I'm through with all this."