Chapter 42 - Putting the pieces back together

Start from the beginning

Kai was resting. Alexis managed to heal whatever injuries he got. I'm not sure if he'll remember anything that happened today though. From what my mother told me, the Tao has no memories of its magical life. Don't ask me how that works.

My mother had brought the boys to me and I was feeling little calmer thanks to their presence. They seemed extremely happy and they were getting so big, five months already. They seemed to fancy the floor these days so I had no choice but to sit on the floor and watch them roll from their backs to their tummies over and over. The joy on their little faces was a sight to behold.

"Are these the little princes?"

I smiled. "As you can see, not so little anymore. They'll start crawling soon." At the mention of them starting to crawl they started babbling. No doubt, some sort of baby nonsense. "Za za, za za, za za za." Zane sat down and took up one of the twins sitting him on his lap. "Which one is this?"

"That would be Domnik. He's the friendlier of the two."

"So I see." He was quiet for a minute. "I have a favour to ask of you."

"Go ahead. I do need to repay you for your help here today."

"If Aria comes to you and asks for your permission to leave the palace, I want you to grant her permission."

I thought for a minute. "Why would she want to leave the palace?"

"It's not my place to say."

"How long are we talking about? A week? Two?" He stared me down. "A month?"

"Again it's not my place to say. I'm not sure how much time she'll need. But I want you to allow her to leave."

I guess I could do that. Its obvious Aria was going through something none of us could help her with. Maybe Zane would be the one to help her.

"Okay, I guess I can do that. Will you be leaving with her?"

He smiled. "I'm not at liberties to say, your majesty." An even bigger smile took over his face. "We have company."

"Company?" Zane got to his feet carefully placing Domnik back on the floor and made his exit. Then Adrian walked through the nursery doors. I flew to my feet and rushed over to him. "You're awake." My hand ran over his body checking every inch, ensuring he wasn't injured anywhere. "I'm fine, princess." He chuckled. "How are you feeling?" He took both arms in one of his. "Alyssa, I'm fine." He gave me a lingering kiss and I melted. "See?" He pulled away. "I'm fine."

"Dimitri?" He shook his head. "No yet." I sighed. "I'm sure he will wake up soon." His gaze diverted to the boys. He took up Domnik and started twirling him around. "And who is this little guy. You've gotten so big." Domnik started his incoherent babbling again. "Za za za, za za za." I laughed and picked up Alekzandier. He was the quieter of the two. It warmed my heart that Adrian treated them like his own sons.

We played with the boys for a little while longer until my mother came and took them for their baths.

"Sit down for a minute. There's something I want to talk to you about. Have you been feeling differently lately?"

"I don't think so. Why?"

"Do you have any idea why you weren't able to use your powers?"

"No idea."

He took a deep breath. "I think I might know why." I waited for him to continue. He almost looked nervous. "Alyssa, you're pregnant."

"Pregnant? I think I would have known if I was pregnant," I said without confidence.