"I disagree. In your world, you aren't in the same situation, It's like I said, wolf cub." Connor smiled crookedly. He said wolf cub as if it was Lilia's name. For some reason, it made her feel better.

"That's true," she said weakly, not sure how else to reply.

The silence fell once more. Soon, it became comfortable. Lilia had always felt extremely awkward at lulls in conversations - she wasn't sure if she was supposed to talk, if someone else was supposed to talk, or if they were supposed to just sit in silence. She usually made the moment even more uncomfortably by asking a short, easily answered question that then led back into the now stifling silence.

But this quietness was different. It was companionable. Lilia didn't feel like she had to make small talk to fill it. She could simply bask in the sun, enjoy the fresh air, and be in awe of the fact that she was possibly making friends with this strange, otherworldly boy next to her.

She didn't notice what was different about the road at first until she tripped on one of the cobblestones, which was jutting out of the ground due to neglect and old age.

Connor grabbed her forearm and pulled her back into an upright position. She thanked him, cheeks reddening. Her clumsiness had, once again, chosen an inopportune time to strike. She distracted herself by staring at the sight of the road before her.

Slowly, cobblestone by cobblestone, the road was becoming paved. That wasn't to say that someone was currently paving it - whoever had done that job was obviously long gone - but the stones got more and more frequent until, far away, Lilia could see that the road was almost completely covered in stone.

She glanced excitedly at Connor. "That means we're getting near civilization, doesn't it?"

Connor nodded, smiling at her enthusiasm. "I have passed through this town many times. I completely forgot that we would be crossing through it - usually, I travel through the woods to get in and out of my town. I've actually stayed in its inn a few times." He cast a glance at her, keeping his voice suspiciously neutral. "Do you remember that?"

Lilia thought back to the book. "You stayed in so many inns that I couldn't keep track of them," she confessed finally.

Connor shrugged, looking a little relieved at this. "Good point."

Soon, they crested a slight hill and were looking down on a village in a valley.

Lilia gasped as she recognized the way the buildings sat in a bowl and had natural barriers on either side. "Oh! I remember this village!"

Connor visibly wilted. Lilia winced. "Sorry."

"It's fine. It's not your fault. It's not anyone's fault." Connor grimaced. "Unless, of course, this wizard that Azca's sending us to is actually responsible for the book. In that case, I do have somebody to take my anger out on."

Lilia shivered at the thought of Connor deciding to take out his anger on her. He might have been her second favorite character in Star of Winter, but she was wise enough to be fearful of him. After reading of how he cut through his enemies like they were paper dolls, Lilia knew that he was a force to be reckoned with. At least he's decided to halt the anger-releasing until we hear what this wizard has to say for himself.

The paved road that led downhill to the village in the valley was rather steep. Lilia had to put all of her concentration into staying upright as they descended. Once, she stumbled and instinctively grabbed Connor's shoulder to stay upright. Sighing, Connor slung an arm around her and under her arms so that she couldn't fall. Her heart leapt into her throat at the sudden contact and her breath caught. "Thank you," she managed.