Parker didn't hit the ground like he had expected, instead he was being held by arms which were tight around his middle and a laugh sounded low in his ear.

He was paralysed by fear, but that faded the instant he recognised that voice.

'You should have seen your face!'

Parker pulled away from Deon's laughing figure in an instant, turning and punching his friend square in the jaw.

'YOU BASTARD!' Parker screamed as anger quickly took the place which the fear had been presiding.

'Parker!' Deon cursed as he rubbed his jaw, 'You didn't have to hit me'

'I thought that you had been mauled by a bear or something! You are terrible!' Parker roughly placed the other flashlight in Deon's hand.

'It was the best opportunity to scare you! I'm sorry!' Deon yelled after Parker as the other man stormed off into the darkness.

'Don't run off! Come on Parker, I'm sorry!' He called out and Parker slowed his steps enough so that Deon could catch up to him.

'If a bear does find us then I am telling him to eat you first' Parker muttered.

'And I am sure that the bear will listen to you' Deon laughed.

'Well, maybe I won't tell him with words, maybe I'll just push you in front of it, the bear will get the message'

Parker suddenly felt a hand around his upper arm, causing him to stop walking and turn to face Deon.

'I'm sorry Parker, I didn't mean to scare you' Deon told Parker, who nodded slightly.

'I'll forgive you as soon as a bear eats off your arm' Parker laughed, his tone conveying to Deon that all was forgiven.

'Sounds good' Deon laughed, letting go of Parkers arm.

They both went back to walking in the direction they thought the lake was, the both of them were so used to the sounds made by the forests that they totally disregarded the soft sounds of shoes against fallen leaves and sticks that was coming from their left side.

The other man was being quiet, shoes against the ground causing the only evidence of his presence. He had watched the two with a quiet anger, a fury that was building up inside of him, almost bursting at the seams with it.

The man had waited for too long, had planned for too long, had been repressed and kept quiet for too long. It would be his time soon, but not right then, so he waited and watched, his fingers wrapped tightly around the knife in his hand.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

They continued to walk together and Parker let out a breath when he recognised the sparkle of water under the soft glow of moonlight. Parker picked up his pace then, Deon falling behind with every step.

'Don't fall in!' Deon said playfully.

'Don't get eaten by a bear' Parker retorted and laughed as he saw Deon quickly scan his immediate surroundings for a bear.

'Seriously though, don't fall in' Dion said and Parker nodded.

'Stay there, I think it's over here' Parker said, using the flashlight to point to a spot over to the side of the lake.

'Ok' Deon called out as Parker walked.

Parker used the flashlight to look at every inch of the ground, hoping that it was still where he thought he left it.