Meryl placed her hands on his. "Don't you dare."

"I can wear my sneakers?" Don asked.

Meryl was treading lightly with him. "Yeah, baby; you can."

"You my love, look amazing." Don said making her blush. "Don Juan better not try to take 2 of my girls from me."

Meryl smiled as she stroked her cheek. "I think it's too late for one; but you don't have to worry about me. You're stuck with me, for life."

"I better be." Don said with a sweet kiss to her lips.

Meryl could see the turmoil in his eyes. "He's not taking Mamie away from you; she will always be your little girl."

"I don't trust him." Don growled.

Meryl sighed; this was nothing new in this family with 3 girls; unfortunately the way in which Don met Ben wasn't doing anything to tip Ben in Don's favor. "Babe, just go easy on him. Remember how terrified you were when I took you home to meet my parents?"

"That's different; I was going to ask them for their blessing to propose to you." Don said as he saw the look in her eyes. "You don't think?"

Meryl placed her hand on his heart before it attacked him. "No, not now; but I think he is special and very important to her."

"I thought you didn't know about him either!" Don exclaimed.

Meryl shook her head at her husband. "I didn't; I have just noticed a change in her. She is constantly asking me about different recipes, she is always busy, and has this glow."

"You didn't ask her about it?" Don asked.

Meryl shook her head. "I knew she'd tell me when she was ready."

"You realize this isn't how I wanted to spend my Friday evening; our first one free in weeks, right?" Don sighed.

Meryl pressed her lips to his as they heard the front door open and Mamie say they were there. "Duly noted."

"I'll get my gun." Don sighed.

Meryl laughed at her poor husband, and grabbed his hand. "Just like my dad; we don't have one. Be my sweet and perfect Don Man, please."

"Do I have a choice?" Don quipped.

Meryl shook her head and gave him one last kiss as they went to greet their daughter and Ben. "Not if you want to get lucky later."

***

After exchanging pleasantries the foursome went to the family room for drinks and appetizers. Ben was a mess. Not only was he meeting his girlfriend's parents after a less than desired meeting with her father; he was sitting across from Meryl Streep. He couldn't believe how down to earth and normal she seemed and how unpretentious and homey her home was. He knew it would be after getting to know Mamie and hearing her talk about her family; it was still surprising.

Don sat there with his left hand on his wife's knee when he saw Ben do the same thing to his daughter's and his eyes practically bugged out of their sockets which didn't go unnoticed by Meryl; she felt that she had been elbowing him all night as he growled or stared at Ben and decided to pat his knee instead. Mamie was making pleading eyes at her mother; she knew if anyone would change her father's attitude it would be her. Meryl smiled as her daughter and stroked Don's knee to keep him calm. "We are so glad you two could join us for dinner."

"Not what I had planned for tonight." Don mumbled.

Mamie sighed as she held Ben's hand. "I've been meaning to call you two and see if we could all meet for dinner."