Chapter 51

"Lunch." Ben Walker smiled as he came into the private family waiting room where the Gummers were and laid the sandwich, chips, and drinks on the table where the 4 Gummer kids all gravitated to. Ben stood back and watched his future mother-in-law sit there with a faint smile as she twirled her wedding rings. Ben grabbed a sandwich, chips, and a bottle of water and handed them to her. "Here, Meryl."

Meryl smiled at her future son-in-law; thinking how well he already fit in with the family and that made her think of her husband and her family. "Thanks, Ben, I'm not that hungry."

"I am under strict orders from your husband to make sure you eat." Ben laughed. "And I'm not about to let him down."

Meryl patted his back. "Don't worry, honey; he no longer wants to kill you."

***

Meryl was able to calm her husband down about seeing the half-naked young man named Ben in their oldest daughter's apartment during lunch. She walked with him back to his studio to get her car. "I'll see you tonight, Don Man."

"I was thinking we could go out for a nice romantic dinner, just the two of us. I know Louisa is planning on spending the weekend with Maude at your brother's." Don said, hoping he could lure her with romance. "We have that big apartment all to ourselves."

Meryl sighed as he opened her car door for her. "Don, dinner with Mamie and Ben tonight; remember?"

"Oh, that." Don feigned ignorance. "We finally have the apartment to ourselves; both girls are gone. Wouldn't you rather spend it with me?"

Meryl shook her head. "I will be spending it with you."

"That's not what I meant." Don sighed.

Meryl placed her hands on his chest and gave him a small pat. "I'll make it up to you; I know how important this is to our daughter, and it is to me as well."

"I'll see you at 8." Don said with a small kiss to his lips.

Meryl shook her head at her husband. "I could use your help getting ready since I have some appointments this afternoon."

"You change my romantic plans by making me have dinner with the little turd that is making the moves on my baby girl and you want me to help?" Don was partly teasing.

Meryl laughed as she placed another kiss on his lips. "Thanks handsome; see you at 5."

***

Meryl was running around trying to get everything ready. Don did get the drinks ready and set the table but every time she ran through the den on her way to the kitchen she sighed that her husband was sitting in his oversized leather chair, with a beer, watching golf on TV. She knew he was struggling so she didn't push him too much; and he did do everything she asked. Meryl walked back in after getting everything ready. "Don."

"I did everything you asked and even cleaned the kitty litter and took the dog for a walk." Don said as he raised his hands as if in surrender.

Meryl laughed as she sat on the arm of the chair. "I know you did and I appreciate it. I was just going to say that they will be here any minute so you better go change."

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" Don asked as he looked down at his blue oxford button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up, jeans, and his Asics tennis shoes.

Meryl couldn't help but laugh. "You're wearing your Asics."

"Well, I could button up my shirt." Don said as his hands went to the top 2 undone buttons.