Chapter Three

The thick, cold rain splattered my hair as I slammed the Honda's door shut. I grabbed my backpack, and quickly hurried to the office. A small, little old lady was sitting at the front desk, on the phone. She looked up at me, asking whoever was on the other end to wait a second. "Why hello dear," she said in a cheerful voice. "I'm new here," I mumbled. "Ah, you must be Thalia Gates," she said from looking at a clipboard, then checking a computer. "Welcome to Forks High school!" I smiled warmly at her, as she started grabbing some papers from a folder. "Okay dear, I need you to have all your teachers sign this little slip, and bring it back to me at the end of the day. Here is your schedule and a map," she said, handing me some more papers. I thanked her, and quickly left the office to my first class.

More than half the day had already passed, and to be honest, It wasn't so bad. My first period class was physical education, and we just ran laps around the gymnasium. Pretty simple, I guess. My second period class was science, and I was simply introduced to my new lab partner, some tall girl with frizzy red hair, and a bad case of acne. We just ended up taking notes all class. Government was next, and we simply took notes as well. I visited the library at break, and for my elective, I had art. After art, I had English, and we watched Romeo and Juliet. By lunch, I felt pretty positive about this school. And so far, I never heard her voice once.

I sat down at an empty table in the cafeteria, with a tray of pizza, coke, and an apple. I had a hard time making friends, so I had no one to sit with. As I bit into my apple, I decided to observe the cafeteria. There was a whole table filled with sporty jocks, all play fighting and wrestling. The lunchroom monitor was there, breaking up the fights as best as she could. There were many tables full of those sassy teenage fashionistas, and then there were a couple of tables with nerds. But there was this one that specifically caught my eye. There, sat the most beautiful six people I have ever seen in my life; three girls, and three boys. One of the girls was short, with black pixie hair. She was incredibly pale, and her features were almost perfect. She was laughing at something one of the other girls had said. This girl was nearly as beautiful as the rest of them. In fact, she seemed to be the most normal looking. Even though she had pale skin like the others, her brown hair was in a messy ponytail, and she had dark circles under her eyes. She was talking to the little pixie-haired girl. The other girl was the most beautiful out of the three. Her pale skin, perfect features, and wavy blond hair made her look like she was a model on a cover girl magazine. Yet she had a bitter expression on her face, directed to the biggest man. His short black bangs stood out against his pale skin and buff shape. He was playfully punching the bronze haired boy, who had his arm wrapped around the brown haired girl. The last boy stood out to me the most, though. His long golden hair, made him the handsomest out of them all. His tall figure sat in the chair farthest from the others, leaning his back to the chair. He seemed to be zoning out, as if he was daydreaming. And then he met my eyes.

I quickly looked away, turning my attention to my apple, which I suddenly lost interest in. Bravely, I glanced back at their direction, and sure enough, he was still looking at me. I found myself blushing, and then suddenly, it happened. Go. Talk to him. I can do it for you, if you want, the voice spoke , smoothly. She said it in an evil way, a mischievous way. 'No' I thought as hard as I can, the color draining out of my face. I froze. I was terrified. Even over something little like this. 'I thought you were gone' I screamed in my head, now angered. I thought I had a chance to start over, hoping she was gone. But she wasn't. She just laughed, in my head. Then, she was gone. I realized I had dropped my apple, and it had rolled under the table. Some of the nearby people were staring at me, and I realized I seemed to be hyperventilating. I caught my breath, and decided to leave. I glanced a the table of models, and realized that the golden haired boy was still looking at me. This time though, the bronze haired boy was leaning over, whispering in his ear. He was looking at me as well, but with concern. I decided I couldn't take it anymore, and left.

We had take out that night. Mom was sitting at one end of the table, slurping up some noodles. My noodles were still on the plate, getting cold. I haven't even touched them with my fork. We just sat in silence. "So, I found this really good doctor down at the Forks Hospital this afternoon while you were at school. His name is Carlisle Cullen, and I know that, well..." She finally spoke, breaking the silence. I knew what she was about to say, and she was right. I was depressed. I was insane. I needed help. I needed mental help. I stared at the table cloth, with a blank expression. "You might want someone to talk to," She concluded, apparently finally finding the right thing to say. I knew my mom tried really hard to make me happy, when she was sober, so I nodded. "Thank you mom, I think that might help," I sighed, honestly. She beamed at me, and I smiled at her.