➺ Chapter Eleven

Yoshimura exited through the small crack and closed the door behind him quietly. The three ghouls detached from each other and Uta stood straighter, waiting for the fateful news.

"Everything looks good as of now, but she cannot be disturbed for another hour incase she's prematurely awakened," Yoshimura stated. "Renji, please get her something to eat for when she wakes up."

"Of course," Renji replied, then started walking toward the staircase with Itori following.

Uta felt relief and a calmness fall over himself at the information, but there were still things that could go wrong and a jolt of unease swirled in his stomach.

"Is her body regenerating or accepting the kidney?" Uta questioned.

Yoshimura nodded. "It seems that her body is becoming accustomed to it extremely well--almost too well. The incision began healing before I left the room."

"Thank you," Uta responded.

"Don't thank me yet; there could still be repercussions from this," Yoshimura warned. "You will have to take responsibility for her progression and health until she gets the hang of it. It took Kaneki quite some time to come to terms with who he is. It's your job to ensure (Y/N) does the same."

"I will," Uta promised. "She may be furious, but I won't leave her to fend for herself."

"Good. Wait an hour before going in, and make sure you have something for her to eat or you may become the meal."

Yoshimura strolled away and Uta sat down in his spot, facing the door. He wondered if you would change mentally or maybe you wouldn't want to be with him anymore. It broke him to even think about but he would give anything for your happiness, even if he couldn't imagine being away from you.

Uta waited as time passed until Renji arrived back with the familiar cooler filled with human body parts surrounded by ice to keep it fresh. Renji left once more and Uta was left to count each second and minute that came and went.

He got nervous as it got closer to when he could see you. Uta didn't want you to be different, but it was inevitable either way because you would be different. You would eat humans and be able to jump across buildings and use a kagune--a part of Uta's kagune. He hoped it would be a great experience instead of the nightmare he was preparing himself for.

When the time came, Uta stood with the handle of the cooler in his hand and strode to the door in long steps. He didn't hesitate when opening it and moving inside, but when he peered at the bed, you weren't where he expected you to be and the bedsheets were thrown on the floor.

♡♡♡

You knew you were unconscious and something was happening to your body. You saw nothing but black with swimming specks of white lights, but you didn't know what was happening.

You became more aware of your surroundings as the procedure ended and you heard someone talking to you in a low voice. You couldn't make out the words. Your body felt utterly different and twisted into something unexplainable.

You could feel your blood pumping through your veins and your ears started picking up random things like the stirring of a spoon and the tapping of someone's foot. You guessed they were coming from the floor below you.

You could smell coffee and something sweet, but you didn't know what it was but it was almost metallic. All you wanted was to open your eyes and understand fully what was happening to you, so with your newfound strength, you took a breath and forced your form to react.

You sat up in bed as if waking from a dream and your eyes were widened when you saw you were in a room in Anteiku. There was an IV in your arm and you felt oddly energetic at the moment, as if you were injected with a psychedelic drug.

You gently took the needle from your arm and swung your legs over the other side of the mattress as quietly as possible. You noticed first how your vision was contorted, but you could see unbelievably well. Your skin also seemed to glow clearer as you examined your hands.

Something had happened, and you wanted to know what.

Your head flicked over to the mirror perched on top of a dresser and you couldn't comprehend what you were seeing. Swiftly, you stood and sped over to the dresser, leaning forward and turning your face to different angles.

Your hand reached up to touch under your single kakugan eye. You opened your mouth and noticed your teeth had grow slightly sharper as well.

Then, you began to cry.

Dark tears poured from one eye while clear fell from the other. You knew you were a half-ghoul somehow and you didn't cry because of that. You were afraid. You were suddenly scared of what you were and who you had become. You were so confused and terrified about what could have happened to warrant such a situation.

You felt something pressing against your abdomen and finally looked down to see you were in different clothes than when you passed out. You lifted the shirt and saw thin white wrapping around your torso. You cried harder and dropped the fabric.

Uta. Where is he? you wondered countless times as you felt suffocated in the small room by yourself. You wanted nothing more than to ask him what happened to you and hold him and for him to say it was okay.

In the meantime, you fell to the ground and scooted into a dark corner with your knees to your chest. You controlled your breathing but it was hard knowing that your body was morphing into something you knew nothing of.

You waited because you didn't want to leave and accidentally harm someone. It was a chilling atmosphere, especially when the door to the room finally began to open and a figure stepped in.