Aging

I wake up slowly, stretching out my limbs. As my mind wakes up, I realize that today is my 18th birthday. I groan and flip down back onto my bed. Jordan and dad burst through my door smiling. "Happy birthday," they say in unison.

"Yeah, yeah," I grumble. Jordan pulls out a box from behind his back. "I told you not to get me anything."

"Well, we sort of teamed up with your mom," dad explains. I open up the box and inside is an empty photo album. Dad then pulls out a camera from behind his back. "Your mom bought the camera and I got the album, with Jordan's help of course. Your mom wants you to take pictures of your senior year."

Jordan was now in college. Both him and Blake are going to Forks community college so they can stay close to home. I shove them both out the door and I get changed. I throw on a pair of jeans, a blue t-shirt, brown converse and I grab Shawn's leather jacket.

I head downstairs and I see a stack of pancakes with whip cream and a cherry on top. There is also a candle. I roll my eyes and blow out the flame. "What did you wish for?" Jordan asks bouncing up and down.

"If I tell you, it won't come true," I tell him and he fake pouts. I hear knocking at the door and I open it. Shawn is standing there looking like a god. He picks me up in hug and kisses me.

"Happy birthday," he says and I push him away. We then go out to his car and I get into the front. "Here, I got you something."

"I told you I didn't want presents," I say looking at him.

"I know but you'll love it. You can wear it tonight." He hands me a black box with purple ribbon.

"Tonight?"

"Lyla is throwing you a birthday party," he explains and I stare at him. "I tried to tell her you didn't want to celebrate. Why don't you any way, I mean your 18."

"That's one year older than you."

"Not by choice, I might add." I open up the box as he pulls out of my driveway. Inside is a dark purple dress, it's gorgeous. "Well, thank you." He parks in the school parking lot. I put the box into the back of his car.

Lyla runs over to me and hugs me. "Happy birthday Kaitlyn," she almost shouts.

"Keep it down, I don't want everyone to know."

"Why not?" I brush the question off. Shawn and I head to our lockers. We then head over to advance functions. We sit in the back of the classroom.

"So, who exactly is going to be at this party?" I ask Shawn.

"Well, Lyla and myself obviously, my mom and your family." We continue talking all through class. The bell rings and I grab my bag. Shawn and I then walk together over to English.

We again have Mr. Smith as our teacher. We continue studying "To Kill A Mockingbird". I had studied this book back in grade 9, so I would have another easy English class. I try to pay attention to what he was saying but I couldn't focus. I was just thinking of Shawn almost the whole time.

I didn't hear the lunch bell ring. I feel a familiar large hand on my shoulder and I smile up at Shawn, as I snap out my day dreaming. He picks me up and I squeal at him. "Shawn Mendes, put me down," I say laughing.