Ghost of My Past

January

“Okay, open your eyes.” I heard my boyfriend Derek tell me. I opened them to see a sky blue Volkswagen Beetlewith a giant red bow on it. I covered my mouth with my hands and stifled an excited scream. I couldn’t believe it.

“Oh my gosh, Derek! I can’t believe you bought me a car!” I said, wrapping my arms around him. He smiled warmly, his deep blue eyes sparkling.

“Well it wasn’t just me, you know. You’re dad payed for the other half.” He said, embracing me. He leaned down and kissed me. He tasted like pizza. I smiled into him, feeling my heart explode. 

It was always like this.

Derek and I first met in elementary school. He was a small, shy boy. He sat next to me on the first day of class, and rarely talked. Me on the other hand, I was the most obnoxious, loud, ungraceful person anyone could ever meet. I yapped non-stop, and never once did he tell me to shut up. Then, as the years went by, he started talking more. He and I grew to be best friends. I protected him from the jerks, and in return, he was my shoulder to cry on. We were practically joined at the hip. Then, one day, in grade ten, we went to my friend Larissa’s party. It was her sweet sixteen and she invited us over. 

Derek and I went to the party, and I, being the experimental, not-so-smart girl, drank a little too much. Maybe a lot too much. Long story short, I passed out at the party, and Derek carried me home. He took care of me the entire night. In the morning, I woke up to him sitting on my sofa couch, twiddling his thumbs like he used to back in elementary school. He looked at me and nervously told me that he liked me. I didn’t think twice before going out with him.

And now, here I am. I just turned eighteen and Derek, with the help of my parents, bought me my first car. I still can’t get over the fact that Derek and I have been going out for two years now. I loved him so much, and I simply can’t picture my life without him in it.

“So, what are we doing tonight?” I asked him, as I broke away from the kiss. He smiled as I pushed his shaggy dark hair back. He reached into his back pocket and pulled out two tickets. I took them from his hands and practically melted.

Coldplay?! You bought me tickets to Coldplay?! Derek, this concert was sold out! How did you get these tickets? I love you so much!” I cried, throwing myself into his arms again. He laughed and kissed my nose.

“I got them in advance. I’ve always known how much you love them. But, I love you the most, Jenna. I always have and I always will.” He whispered, tucking his head into mine. I rested mine against his chest. I could hear his heart beat, strong and stable. He was mine, all mine, and no one or nothing could change that.

At least, that’s what I thought.

----

“Light a fire, without a spark, light a fire, a flame in my heart. We'll run wild oh, we'll be glowing in the dark.” Derek and I sang as Chris Martin jumped around on stage, preforming their hit song, Charlie Brown. The song began to reach its end as I turned and kissed my boyfriend. Derek’s eyes closed as we stood there, lost in the moment. The sound drowned out and all I could feel was Derek’s lips on mine.

“Thanks for coming out tonight, guys, and hopefully we’ll see you next year!” Chris called from the stage, bringing Derek and I back from our moment. We looked up at the sweat drenched Chris and screamed, reaching out for him. I felt Chris’ eyes on mine for a moment and I couldn’t help but blush.

My life was perfect.

----

“This could be para-para-paradise, para-para-paradise. This could be para-para-paradise. Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oooh-oh-oh-oh.” Derek and I sang in the car, bopping our heads to our voices. I pulled the car to a slow stop as we hit a red light. I turned in my seat to look at my boyfriend.