Keeping the cloth hidden, Nandini folded her hands and prostrated to the deity. Then she stood up and bowed to the priest, who smiled and raised his hand in blessing. Then she and Kadambari turned and walked out of the temple.

At the gate, the guards were waiting with the palanquins.

Prithvi helped Uday Singh sit in the grandest one. Meanwhile, Nandini slipped her feet easily into the sandals, and Kadambari also quickly wore her elegant slippers.

Guards rushed ahead to help Prithvi, Uday Singh, and Sumer Singh wear their respective footwear.

Prithvi impatiently raised his hand to stop the guards from approaching him.

Pleased by the scene for some reason, Nandini smiled and glanced at Kadambari. The plump woman too was looking affectionately at Prithvi. She caught Nandini's eye and smiled.

When Uday Singh and Sumer Singh were ready to leave, Prithvi addressed the former while swiftly wearing his shoes.

"Don't wait for me once you reach the base," Prithvi instructed firmly, and received a humble nod in answer. Then he looked at Sumer Singh. "Baba, go with him in his car."

"Yes, my lord," Sumer Singh agreed. He waited till the palanquin with Uday Singh had left, and then looked at Prithvi fretfully. "Please don't drive too fast on the way back."

Kadambari jumped to Prithvi's defence. "He drove fast because he was hungry, and wanted to return home soon for breakfast. If your customs weren't so cruel, he wouldn't have had to drive at that speed," she said staunchly.

Sumer Singh started to snap back, but then appeared to have remembered something.

"You want to say something?" Prithvi asked mildly.

Sumer Singh dourly shook his head and sat in the palanquin.

When the second team had left, Kadambari looked timidly at Prithvi. "I was errr...thinking of – I was thinking it might be better if I return in the jeep with the guards. I think that car doesn't suit me. I was...errr...feeling very nauseated and dizzy while journeying to the temple," she mumbled remorsefully, looking at the rocky ground.

"You were? Is that why you were yelling out prayers nonstop till we reached here?" Prithvi asked solicitously.

Nandini groaned in her mind as Kadambari nodded vehemently.

"Poor you," Prithvi sympathised. "I'll miss the background music, but okay, you can go in the jeep, Choti maa."

Palpably relieved, Kadambari eagerly said, "I'll wait for both of you."

Once the third palanquin had also left, Prithvi took off his coat.

"Why are you removing it?" Nandini asked.

"It's too hot," he replied, thrusting the coat into her arms.

Nandini resignedly held it to herself. Then struck by a bright idea, she tried to plant the mysterious cloth in one of the pockets of the coat.

"It won't stay there for long," Prithvi said calmly, loosening his tie and undoing the topmost button of the shirt.

Pretending she hadn't heard him, Nandini swivelled to look at the shrine one last time. Would she get to see it again anytime soon? Oddly saddened, she turned back, and was startled to find herself standing alone. Prithvi was making his way to the stairs.

"Hey!" she yelled, dashing forward.

"Don't hurry. Stand there and admire the craftsmanship for as long as you want," Prithvi replied loudly without turning.