Ch. 41: Birthday Guns

*Guns. Something Elvis was fascinated with, and enjoyed having enough guns for protection.*

*Lillian recieves two gifts from Elvis.

*Elvis giving a speech = a nervous and doubtful Elvis! 

I spent my 29th birthday in Canada with my family, my manager with her family, and our dogs. With everything that happened last year, I just needed a whole day with just family and close friends. The children enjoyed the snow, and built snowmen with the help of James, Jack, and Cheyenne's husband. The women on the trip loved watching the children have fun while having a conversation with hot cocoa.

While vacationing in Canada, I received a call from Priscilla. She seemed worried and concerned about Elvis.

Priscilla: "Lilly, Elvis has been purchasing so much guns and police equipment, such as handcuffs and all. He's becoming obsessed with badges."

Me: "He's a Southern man, and they love guns. It's good for protection, but I can see why you're worried. Did you try talking to him?"

Priscilla: "No, I haven't yet. The Memphis Mafia is getting into that as well. He also got a gun for

you and James! At the same time, I feel safe and unsafe."

Me: "Talk to him and voice your opinion. If that doesn't work, I'll give him a call."

Priscilla: "Thanks Lilly."

I hung up the phone, and let out a huge sigh. James asked me what was wrong, and I told him the whole gun situation. I called it, the birthday guns. He laughed, but thought it was necessary to at least have one gun if there was no security.

We had three dogs; Ruby, Rose, and Rocky. Ruby was getting old, while Rose followed behind. Rocky was Rose's pup, and we decided on getting another dog very soon. They guarded the house well, but they were a handful!

Later that night, I received a phone call from Elvis. I knew what he was calling about, but I still decided to take the call.

Elvis: "Hey Lilly, Happy Birthday honey." 

Me: "Happy Birthday Elvis." 

Elvis: "Did ya get the flowers I sent you?" 

Me: "I'm not in the States, Elvis. I'm in Canada, celebrating with my family." 

Elvis: "That sounds nice. Say, whatcha' think about having a gun? Or James havin' a gun to protect y'all?" 

Me: "Elvis, having extra protection would be great. But we already have three dogs that are trained to protect us from any harm." 

Elvis: "Lilly, you gotta have extra protection, since James isn't there for seven to eight months." 

Me: "I will only allow a gun in my house if James and I will learn how to use to properly. That's all." 

Elvis and I had a long and serious conversation about guns. His obsession with guns was proven to be true during the two hours I spoke with him. He did have a point, but I didn't feel safe with a gun. James and I knew how to use one, but extra practice was needed. Elvis agreed to teach us how to shoot with a gun when we all had time. 

A day after our birthday, Elvis was voted one of the Most Outstanding Young Men of the Year by the national board of the Junior Chamber of Commerce. He was very proud of this achievement, and he decided to carry the award around. He had to give a speech on January 16th, and he was very nervous about it! 

Elvis: "Lilly, I can't give a speech or do this." 

Me: "What do you mean you can't do it? You can, I know you can." 

Elvis: "Public speaking wasn't somethin' I mastered the day I was born. I hated it during high school. There's gonna be smart-ass people in the audience, and some being politicians or actors." 

Me: "Why does it matter? Everyone in the room is just a normal person just like you. Their social status or career shouldn't affect anything. Maybe link music into your speech, and it will do well." 

Elvis thanked me for my advice as always, and life continued. Elvis showed me his speech, and it was pretty good for someone who didn't have faith in himself. My favorite part of the speech was when Elvis quoted an R&B tune by Roy Hamilton called "Without A Song". He presented this speech on January 16th at the press conference for the Jaycees award. 

"When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was the hero of the comic book. I saw movies, and I was the hero in the movie. So every dream I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. These gentlemen over there, these are the type who care, are dedicated. You realize if it´s not possible that they might be building the Kingdom, it´s not far-fetched from reality. I learned very early in life that: ‘Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain’t got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend, without a song.' So I keep singing a song. Goodnight. Thank You."

It moved me, and it would be remembered as the "famous" quote in Elvis' speech given that night. 

I watered the flowers Elvis had given me while "Without A Song" softly played in the backround. Another song that was added to the meaningful song file in my brain. 

On January 29th, Elvis sent Jerry Schilling to my house to give James the gun he bought him. James wasn't at home, so I attempted to send Jerry away with the gun. I was having second thoughts about having it at the house, viewing it as a safety hazard. 

Jerry: "Lilly, I only came to your house to give James' gun to him. Elvis expects me to leave here with no gun and a positive report from both you and James." 

Me: "Jerry, it's a safety hazard for my children! I don't want the children to be playing with the gun if we hid it somewhere and it were to be found. Something bad might happen. Why don't you tell Elvis that you'll come back when James' football season is finished?" 

Jerry: "He's gonna be angry if I told him you refused to take the gun. Elvis believes.." 

Me: "..that if he presents someone with a present, they should take it, even if they simply dislike it and don't want anything to do with it. I know. Jerry, can you please keep the gun at your house until James comes home? I don't know where to hide a gun, and it's in better hands with you." 

Jerry sighed, but nodded his head to show he understood that I didn't want the gun in my house at the moment. He suddenly reached in his pocket and pulled out a jewerly case. I could tell that it was a necklace case because it was big. I looked at him with a confused face. 

Jerry: "It's not from me, it's from E." 

Me: "Haha, that rhymed. What is it?" 

Jerry: "Open it up and you'll find out." 

I opened the box, and inside it was a necklace that was a replica of the TCB necklaces he made for the guys. Instead of TCB, it read TLC. Jerry told me the meaning was Tender Loving Care, and loved to inform me that Priscilla and I were the only ones who had the stearling TLC silver necklaces. I thought it was very sweet and creative of him to make necklaces for the important ladies in his life. 

All of this made me forget about weapons. I could forget about something quickly!