The way you look at me

So this one shot takes place when Veronica finds out that Betty is going on a date with Trevor.
Please comment if you find something wrong with the story.

Bettys POV

"You are going out with Trev?" The sudden and unexpected voice right behind me causes me to jump. I turn around quickly just to see Veronica stand in front of me. She has an excretion on her face I can't read. I don't know what I feel when I see her. I wish I could say I'm over her, but things aren't really that simple.

"Hey to you to Veronica", I say, hoping she'll forget her question. For some reason I don't want to talk to her about it. She doesn't let herself get fooled.

"Don't even try", she says. "So, is it true?"
I sigh.

"Who told you?" I ask and walk across the room to get my bag from one of the schools uncomfortable sofas as an excuse not to look at her.
We are in the free time room. The usually crowded place is empty and we are the only one there. For the first time I wish we weren't.

"Jughead", Veronica says. "And just so you know, he seems pretty upset about it."
I let that comment slid by, lift up my bag onto my shoulder and take a few steps in the direction of the door.

"Betty, wait", Veronica says. I stop. I wish I didn't feel this way about her, like it would make me sad to make her sad.
I take a deep breath, turn around and do my best to act like there is nothing weird with this situation; just two girls talking about a date. God, I wish that was the case.

"So you look forward to this date?" Still, I can't tell anything from her face. It's like she's wearing a mask.
I smile and nod; trying to look as enthusiastic as I should.

"You know, I really am." It's silent for a moment.

"I don't think you should go Betty", she tells me, looking deadly serious. I look back at her feeling confused.

"Why is that?" Once again it takes a few seconds for her to answer.

"The thing we have..." she starts, but I interrupt her. A sudden anger starts growing inside me.

"The thing we have, Veronica, is nothing! You kissed me at the cheerleading practice and I was stupid enough to fall for you! I thought I showed you that! Everything I ever did was to show you I liked you; and what did I get in return?"
My voice gets higher and more upset for every word. I can see that makes her a bit uncomfortable, but I don't care right now. Not anymore. I don't know where all this is coming from, maybe I've looked it up somewhere inside me ever since the kiss and now, suddenly, the door to this dark, horrible place is wide open.

"I got nothing!" I scream of the top of my lungs. "It was like you couldn't even see me!"
She whispers something to quiet for me to hear. Her gaze is fixated on the ground in front of my feet. She looks nervous. Yesterday I might have felt guilty knowing I was the one to make her feel this way but now, with this the anger rising inside of me, it feel like she deserved it. I want too believe this means I am finally coming over her. I feel like I've already lost sleep way to many nights thinking about her that I should.

"What was that?" I say as I take a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. "I couldn't hear you. And will you please look at me then I'm talking to you?"
And so she does. I take a step back in surprise.
She doesn't look nervous or insecure, as I though. She looks rather angry; maybe even angrier than I am.
She takes a step forward and I take another one backwards. It's like all of my anger just disappeared, and instead my heart starts rising in fear. Veronica is scaring me looking like that.

"Yes I can, Betty", she says and makes my name sound like something disgusting. She takes another step against me.

"I can tell you, if you didn't notice, that I am not a mind reader. I thought I saw you looking at me in a way that made me feel special, like someone good, someone I wanted to be and I couldn't help but fall for you. One time I was about to kiss you again, and then what happened?" Her voice is now as high as mine had been a few seconds ago.

"I saw you looking at Archie the same way! And then Jughead, and Kevin! It made me feel stupid. Had I really thought you looked at only me that way? No, Betty, and you want to know how I know?"
I am almost too scared to answer, but I manage to nod.

"Because you're too kind Betty! You are care so much about everyone and make everyone feel special, just like you did to me!" I lower my head and look at her feet. How stupid am I? Why hadn't I just talked to her instead of fixing up this date just to make her jealous?

"I am..." I start, but stop and swallow. Her feet are just next to mine. How had she come so close without me noticing? I could feel her body just a few inches away and suddenly it was getting hard to breath. A second goes by; and then another one.

"I couldn't hear you. And will you please look at me then I'm talking to you?" she says. Her voice is no longer angry. Instead it's soft and kind; just like it use to be, when she is copying what I said just a few seconds ago. I can feel my heart rise again; but not because of fear this time, and I realize I'll never truly get over her. I'm already in too deep.
I turn my head up and my gaze finds hers. Her eyes are calm, as beautiful as ever before.

"I didn't look at anyone else that way I look at you. I though you knew that."
She gives me a smile, the most beautiful one I've ever seen. I am about to smile back then her lips suddenly are on mine, just a soft touch, but it's enough to make my body shiver.
She slowly pulls away, but I don't let her get very far. I put my arms around her waist and pull her closer to me, making our lips meet again. I can feel her smiling into the kiss.
Then we hear someone sigh in the doorway. We jump away from each other and look how it is.
It's Kevin.

"Young love", he says as he shakes his head in a theatric way. "So pure and so innocent and yet so dangerous."
He turns quiet and for a moment we all three just stare at each other.

"But for God's sake, don't mind me", he says. "Just keep doing what you were doing."
Both me and Veronica starts to laugh.
The bell over our heads, that tells us it's time for class, starts to ring. Kevin gives us a last gaze and disappears. I look over at Veronica.

"We should probably get going", I tell her. She nods and leans in. I think she's going to give me a peak on the cheek, but instead she whispers in my ear.

"But don't even for a moment think we're done." And just like that she is gone to.

Thank you so much for reading this and hope you liked!

If you did please vote or comment so I know if I should continue this, that would really mean a lot to me.