5.

"do you really have to go back?" sam whined from the other end of the couch, legs tangled up with max's

"i'll only be in australia for a year or so." max sighed, knowing he's going to miss her more than he should.

*flashback*
"summer camp, huh?" max nudged sam's arm as the two sat side by side in the grass, soaking up the summer sun.

"this blows. who's gonna laugh at old people with me now?" sam sighed, leaning her head on max's shoulder.

max became silent as his soon to be lonely thoughts flowed through his mind.

"we'll still hang out when you come back, right?" max questioned, running a hand through his curly hair.

"of course." sam reassured.

that summer was when everything changed.

when sam returned from camp it was like she went through years of puberty in just one summer, although her physical appearance became seemingly flawless, her personality and love for max thankfully stayed the same.

as max spent his whole summer missing his best friend, he realized he would be no good without her, even if it were for just a month.

"we can't lose touch, promise?" sam crawled over to the other side of the couch, laying in front of max as he placed his long arm around.

"promise." max whispered back.

*six months later*
"are you here?" max questioned excitedly from the other side of the phone.

"i'm at gate c." sam replied, watching for max's car.

sam waited and debated if wether what she was feeling was nervous or excitement.

when she saw max in her view she immediately realized that she was feeling both.

should she just hug him? should she kiss him? what does she say?

"hey." max greeted, finally in front of her.

sam didn't realize how much she missed max when she immediately pulled him in for a kiss.

"that was a hell of a greeting." max chuckled after the kiss.

"how have you been? how's your mom doing? what have you been up to?" sam stammered on.

"i'm doing alright, my mom is finally getting better, and nothing much." max answered smiling ear to ear, content as ever with his best friend.

max had been slightly depressed since he left california but he didn't want that to weigh on sam so he left that part out.

[...]

"i should be coming back sooner than i expected." max spoke as the two sat in the kitchen, enjoying a cup of coffee.

a grin grew wider on sam's face with every word spoken from his sentence.

"i've really missed you. i know we facetime and all but, actually physically touching you felt better than chocolate cake and sex." sam admitted.

max chuckled and nodded in agreement, he missed sam's humor, touch, and even the word vomit.