Chapter Six

{Chapter Six}

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present.” – B. Olatunji

I was floating.

I was floating in deep, dark, cold water. It hurt. It hurt a lot. I couldn't breathe. I was drowning.

Then I was flying. I was flying trough the open sky like a bird. The world beneath me stopped spinning. It's like everything was stopped. It was like pressing the pause button in the middle of a movie.

Yeah, that's what it was like. It was like every thing, person, and object was just frozen. All except for one.

Nate.

"What are you doing?" I asked him, spreading my arms out so that I was still soaring through the sky.

Nate looked at me in the eye and suddenly I was in them. I was in the deep blue ocean water.

"I think I..."

I waited patiently for his response. But before he could answer- Ben popped right in front of him. My eyes widened a bit as he came towards me. He had an angry look in his eyes.

"What are you doing?" I repeated to him in the same tone I told Nate. He didn't answer either; instead, he grabbed a fistful of his shirt and held him up. I tried to stop him-but I couldn't. The next thing I knew, Nate was falling down from the sky and into the frozen world before.

He had a horrified look on his face as he went down.

And down.

And down.

"Noo!" I screamed. But it seemed like no one could hear me. I heard a faint sound and I realized it was Nate.

"Scarlet..." He was saying. I nodded rapidly instead of saying, yeah? "Scarlet," He says again. "I think...I think... I love..."

I couldn't hear the rest of his response because he had already fallen down from the sky and disappeared. He was gone. All that was left of him was a piece of air.

My arms failed to my side as I took a deep breath. I glared at Ben.

"What?" he asked innocently. "I didn't do anything." Then his voice changed from innocence to anger. "He deserves to be down there. Now we're finally alone. Isn't that how you want it to be? Isn't it, Scarlet?"

I felt myself shaking my head. Then I took a deep breath and prepared myself to go down with him. Ben's eyes widened.

"No! What are you doing?"

I answered in my mind: I was going down with him.

"Scarlet no!" Ben shouted. I ignored him, and took a deep breath. I was going do-

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

The alarm clock woke me up in an instance. I threw the blankets off of me and sighed a breath of relief. It was only just a dream, Scarlet. But it felt so real.

I could almost feel the sweat in my hands when I was standing on the cloud with Ben and Nate. I could almost feel my heart beat when Nate feel off the cloud and into the frozen world below.

Chill out, Scarlet, it was just a dream.

Yeah, a dream that was strangely realistic.

After a quick breakfast, shower, and a hour of deciding what to wear, I finally made it to school.

"Hey!" Danielle chirped. A girl from my history class was with her.

"Hey," I mumbled back.

Danielle gave me a weird look. "What's wrong?"