:: Chapter 24: Christmas! ::

Start from the beginning

"Mr Potter has a Weasley sweater too!" Fred's voice called from the door. James raised his eyebrows.

"Back already?"

"We just opened these!" George said in an awestruck voice, holding a package.

"All the expensive joke material from Zonkos..." Fred said in a hushed voice.

"These can hold us for months!"

"Thanks so much!"

"Yeah, Mr Potter, thanks!"

"You're welcome." James brushed it off. "It was nothing."

"But it must have cost a lot!"

"It doesn't matter." James said.

"Well, thanks again!" George said. With that, they went off muttering excitedly to themselves.

James grinned and walked out the door, closing it behind him. Halfway downstairs, he was met by Ginny.

"The perfume was very rare, Mr Potter! Thank you! And Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas Ginny," James said smiling at the happy girl. "And you're welcome."

"I came to tell you... you'd better not go downstairs for a bit."

"Why not?" James asked curiously.

"Percy sent back his Christmas jumper, didn't ask if dad was right or anything. Fred and George tried to comfort her by telling her that Percy was a huge pile of rat droppings, but it set her off more." Ginny said, rolling her eyes at her brother's lack of tact.

"Oh," James said softly. Sirius and Remus had told him about Percy falling out with his family.

"Remus is cheering her up."

"He'll do a good job of it." James said fondly.

James then walked to the floor below and saw the trio having an intense discussion. But they brightened when they saw James.

"Thank you for the books! I've wanted the set of Famous Witches and their contributions towards the wizarding world for ages!" Hermione said beaming.

"You're welcome Hermione," James said graciously. Remus had helped him choose the book set, he had been at a loss at what to choose. James then noticed that Ron had an odd expression on his face.

"Ron? You alright?"

Ron raised the envelope in his hands and spoke in a strangled voice.

"Five...tickets...to the Chudely Cannons match... in the summer..."

"Yeah," James said. "Harry told me that you were a huge fan...?"

"This is brilliant." Ron managed to choke out. "How did you ever get them?'

"Well, I have my ways." James said grinning. The truth was that the wizard who sold the tickets had known his parents very well. They had been well known aurors in his time.

"I can't wait to see Fred and George's face when I tell them that they can't come!" Ron said gleefully. "That'll show them for filling my room with dung bombs yesterday..."

The other three laughed.

"Anyway..." James said. "What were you discussing?"

"Hermione made Kreacher a gift," Harry said. "A quilt."

"Oh," James said. "for his boiler cupboard?"

"Yes!' Hermione said eagerly.

"Why don't you give it to him then?"