After this routine was established Hermione began begging Harry to stay with her in the suite more often.

            “So he just sleeps here now?” Harry asked one day while he opened a window to let the cool fresh air into the room.

            Hermione nodded, “has Ron….has he been acting oddly?”

            Harry shook his head, “no. not really.” Harry bit into a chocolate frog before sitting next to her on the sofa, “Hogsmeade trip tomorrow.”

            Hermione nodded as she smiled, “yes. Draco and I have to do rounds while there though.” She felt her stomach twist as she lied so easily to her best friend, she just hoped Harry didn’t see through her lie. She had a plan to talk to Draco alone and confirm her suspicions—she knew that Ron had something to do with Draco’s new found attitude and she was determined to find out what happened.

            “Pick me up fizzing whizzbees will you?”

            Hermione smiled, “I suppose you’re not going then?”

            Harry nodded, “loads of work that I should get started is all plus Ron wants to play a round of quidditch with this nice weather.”

            Hermione nodded as they got into a conversation about nothing in particular.

                        ****

            Draco sat lazily by one of the windows and was making paper birds fly around the room, he had come back from the pitch having flown around possibly the whole castle and some of the forest before coming back to the common room.  

            Hermione gave a small frown as she looked at Draco, “so you aren’t going to talk about what happened a while ago?”

            Draco sighed, “I think it’s best to keep that behind us Hermione.”

            Hermione placed her book on the table and leaned in closer, “Ron did something to you didn’t he?”

            Draco shook his head—hoping his face didn’t give away his lie. “As if I’d actually listen to that arse.”

            Hermione nodded, his answer didn’t give away too much but in the back of her mind she felt as if it was a confirmation.

            Draco shifted under her gaze before glancing her way, “Hogsmeade is coming up soon…would you like to walk around with me?”

            Hermione smiled and nodded, “I’d like that.” Her plan was going to work, she knew it—and if not…there was always another option.

                                                ***

            The same day the students would be going to Hogsmeade for sweets and butterbeer was the same day that Ron Weasley found out that the girl of his dreams would be spending the day with the evil ferret from the slytherine house, Draco Malfoy. Ron was crushed and Hermione Granger felt bad as she walked with Draco towards the little town, as they walked Hermione’s pace seemed to be at a jog just to keep up with Draco’s long strides.

            “So Ron’s taking this hard is he?” Draco asked to Hermione as they walked passed the crowed three broomsticks. Before they had left he had seen Ron in the great hall looking upset and speaking harshly to Hermione.

            “Possibly more than he led on,” Hermione muttered, “it’s not as if this is really killing him right? Besides he’s the one who has been snogging someone while trying to get me.”

            “Well…I was the bully that hurt him and you and Potter…you still wont tell him your true feelings when they’re plastered all over your face….and well…yeah….it pretty much is if I were him. Maybe that’s why he’s kissing Lavender.” Draco leaned into Hermione before continuing, “and he’s not the only one who has been kissing other people if I remember correctly.”

            Hermione glared at Draco before looking in the store fronts they passed, “I honestly don’t know what my feelings are anymore….”

            Draco looked down at Hermione and noticed a small smile playing on her lips that seemed to become a frown which changed back to a smile, “you’d break his heart and hurt him forever if you ever told him, you know.”

            Hermione nodded slowly, “I already am so what’s telling the truth going to change?”

            Draco shrugged, “you’d lose him forever and then Potter would be stuck in the middle of his two best friends not knowing what to do possibly and then you may end up all alone…”

            Upon this suggestion Hermione glared at Draco but didn’t say anything, in the back of her mind she knew that he was right and that it could possibly happen.

            “He already is in the middle of us….” Hermione muttered bitterly, she glanced around before she continued along with her plan. “so…when you went into the room of requirement, did you see what Ron was hiding?”

            Draco smirked as he shrugged, “nothing important.”

            Hermione nodded, “he did something to you…didn’t he?”

            Draco glanced at her, he knew she wouldn’t let it down but still, “that’s not something you need to know Hermione.”

            Hermione sighed, “he did something! Just tell me what he did!”

            Draco stopped walking as they neared the edge of town he leaned in to whisper in her ear, as he did he could smell the scent of vanilla on her skin. “It doesn’t matter if he did or not….we both know it was never going to be me Granger, now stop fooling around with your little game.”

            Hermione blushed and nodded, they slowly started walking until Hermione glanced at Draco, “what if I’ve changed my mind?”

            Draco laughed, “even if you did…I’m not the right choice. I’m the bad guy remember that.”

            Hermione shook her head, “I know you’re a good guy Draco.”

            Draco gave a sad smile, she was making this too hard for him, “let’s just enjoy our time together Hermione.” It may be the last time we’re like this, Draco thought in the back of his mind as he gave Hermione one last fleeting look.