chapter three; HOMO SAPIENS

Beginne am Anfang

"Fuck it," she mutters to herself within an exhale before she jumps.

She reaches her hand for the metal rod mid air, some decent amount of inches above her head, before ultimately pulling herself up so she can balance her feet on there. She takes note of how it's even more freezing cold than the air swirling around her.

Swinging her legs over the edge of the gate and dropping herself down with a little thump and she's on school ground, ready to go. Except she's not ready at all.

Looking back once more, partially out of paranoia, partially out of hope, she looks out for anyone possibly following her.

She does feel a presence, as if someone would be watching her. Then again, it wouldn't surprise her, if it really was just her being overly conscious and right on the edge.

With ease, though hands shaking slightly, she pulls her cellphone from her pockets to check if she had missed any messages. When the latest still was her boyfriend's from earlier, she clenches her jaw.

As much as she would love to give him the cold shoulder as much as possible, taking joy from acting bratty every once in a while, but also because it is actually well justified in her case, her fingers dance across the screen, tapping the letters in a rushed manner.

from: Takenaka Reika
to: Kaito
date: October 22nd, 23:53

I'm there. Heading to Room 2-C now.

Something inside of her is hoping for the utopian relief of Kaito replying immediately, saying something along the lines of "you know what, fuck it, let's not do this." but dreams remain to be dreams.

Finally deciding to make a move, Reika walks across the small path, following it's stone patterns in a piss poor excuse to find her calm, like a child would in a playful manner. With each step the entrance door seems more and more distant and unattainable.

Which, again, she wouldn't mind at all, if this feeling of guilt and fear wasn't bothering her for other reasons as well.

Even though she's only been here once and has spent only a few hours on this school ground so far, she can tell that this definitely isn't a place for her. It's in no way welcoming nor is it of any great purpose to her.

She's here because she has no other option, not because she wants to or likes to be.

Thinking about it, the people here are of the same unimportance than anything else. Nobody really stood out to her.

Not even that Orihara kid, even if he had to be given props for the effort. Well, in some way he did leave an impression on Reika, apparently. That much she has to admit, but even so, people like him put themselves much higher than they are or even feel themselves in reality.

She would know.

Without fully being aware of her movements, which is a thing she tends to do often and which she despises quite a bit, Reika opens the heavy entrance door, steps inside and walks through the empty echoing hallways.

You'd think it would at least be a little warmer in here, but something about the atmosphere gives her the chills. She feels almost claustrophobic, as if the walls had eyes and would close in on her to squeeze the life out of her any second now.

Upon that, she automatically fastens her pace and walks into the club room building, heading straight for the staircase. She wastes no second nearly running up the stairs and even finds herself out of breath slightly. Her chest is heaving stronger than usual and her throat feels sore.