Chapter 20 ~ Masquerade

Start from the beginning

“Oh I’m sorry,” Arabella said sounding sincere but she could feel tears threatening to spill and suddenly she didn’t care anymore. “Why don’t you just spend time with something you do like,” she suggested. “Go spend time with Rowan.”

“Is that was this is about?” Eleanor said placing her hands on her hips. “I’m sorry you walked in on us, it must have been awkward but there’s no need to be mean about it. Plus, it was your fault anyway for not knocking.”

Arabella gaped at her. “My fault, you’re never in your room this time of day. How was I supposed to know you would be kissing Rowan?”

Eleanor sighed, unimpressed. “Next time knock.”

“Next time?” Arabella retorted. “You’re betting on a next time?”

“Well of course,” Eleanor replied coolly. She gazed at her reflection in the mirror before replying. “It was obvious he liked it. He didn’t push me away. We stopped only because you intruded,” she told Arabella in a harsh tone.

“Well next time I’ll try not to intrude. I wouldn’t want to walk in on something worse,” Arabella responded in kind.

“What are you implying?” Eleanor asked narrowing her eyes.

“I’m just thinking that your uncle might not approve of his niece dating someone not important,” Arabella said thinking out loud. Her comment got the desired effect, it just made Eleanor angrier.

“You don’t know what my uncle would approve of. He’ll accept it after a while. He wants me to be happy,” Eleanor answered.

“If you say so,” Arabella said innocently. “Everyone else might not be so understanding. I wonder what they will think. Lady Eleanor likes someone below her status, royalty and a hunter. A hunter is technically no better than a servant. They have no titles after all.”

“Oh well I wouldn’t worry about it,” Eleanor snapped. She crossed her arms and studied Arabella.

“I don’t think that liking a hunter is the best option for you,” Arabella persisted. Eleanor frowned as comprehension dawned in her eyes. She didn’t respond right away making Arabella’s uneasiness grow.

“Oh really, like a hunter is the best option for you either,” Eleanor said sarcastically. Arabella tensed. “Kind of ironic, really,” she commented. “You liking Rowan, a hunter. How did that ever come about?”

“What are you talking about?” Arabella asked, her voice a whisper. Eleanor tilted her head; the gesture seemed full of pity.

“You don’t really think Rowan could ever like you back, do you? He is a hunter and if he ever found out about your secret I imagine the first instinct he’ll get is to kill you.”

Arabella stumbled back towards the door unable to believe what she was hearing. Eleanor knew her secret? She’d always acted as if she didn’t suspect a thing. She met Eleanor’s eyes, the truth was written in them. Arabella flung open the door and ran. She just hoped that Eleanor wouldn’t tell anyone, but with the state of the friendship currently, nothing was for certain.

She didn’t stop running until she had reached her room. She locked herself in it and slid to the ground. Her mind was reeling, if Eleanor knew who else did? The wise decision would be to run and leave this place behind but Arabella just stayed in her room.

She found to her frustration that she couldn’t cry those tears that had threatened to fall earlier. She clenched her fists and dug her fingernails into her palms. The pain brought some clearness and she got into bed. What she wanted more than anything was for this day to have never happened but that was wishful thinking.