Ye Jo Thode Se Hain Paise...

Start from the beginning

She was beautiful. For a moment he had forgotten to breathe. She was wearing a white shift dress, which reached till her knees. The white color on her body made her look like an angel.

She was sitting on the grass surrounded by rose bushes, and was leaning against a particular rose, smelling it. And then he had seen her move back. With a long sigh she had drawn her knees to her chest and rested her chin on her knees. Something about that posture had tucked at his heart, and not knowing what actually he was doing, he had stood up and gone to her. Without saying a word, he had sat beside her, and then her startled emeralds had collide with his. For some seconds he had just stared in her beautiful emerald eyes, mesmerized. Then gaining his composure, he had introduced himself and offered her his chips. She had shook her head at first, but after insisting she had given in, and had ate more than half of it.

Arnav chuckled at the memory. They had followed the same pattern- she waiting for him at their meeting spot every Sunday, and he joining her with a packet of chips. And then one day she had cutely asked him. "Arnav, am I your girlfriend?" and had shocked him. Unable to come up with anything else, he had said. "Uhh..I...I guess you are .." Since that day, there was no turning back. They had spent their Sundays together, shared their painful past, their dreams of future, everything. And had become more than a mere girlfriend and boyfriend to each other.

But soon he was 18, and it was time to leave the orphanage. Khushi had cried when he had said her he will have to leave now. She had begged him to take her with him. But she was just 17, she wouldn't be allowed. Understanding the situation, she had given in, but had made him promise to not break their Sunday meets.

And so here he was. In few months Khushi will be turning 18, and will be allowed to leave. Finally she will be with him. And so he has desperately searching for a good job. With no luck till now. He can't even make enough money to buy her a dress she had liked so much when they had taken a walk through the market last sunday, how will he take her responsibility? Khushi was a doing part time job along with her studies, and earning enough for herself for now, but it won't be enough once she leaves the orphanage. He knows the struggle of finding a place to live, he don't want Khushi to go through that. But every plan he had made to spare Khushi of that struggle has met dust.

With a long sigh, he shook his head and walked towards his Khushi.

"Arnav!"

Her sweet voice always has the power to chase away all the worries no matter how upset he his. With a small, but genuine smile, he went and took her in his arms.

"God, I missed you! You smell so wonderful... like home...." he held her tightly, allowing her scent to erase all the sad thoughts.

Khushi giggled. "As if we know what home smells like .." she quipped.

"You do.." bending to her height, he pecked her lips. "You always do.."

"OK....come.." Taking his arms, she dragged him towards the bench. Making him sit, she stood in front of him. "Today's Valentine's day.." she said cheerfully.

Arnav just nodded his head. "Yes, it is.."

"So when are you planning to give me that?" Khushi pointed at the rose in his hand.

With his shoulders slumped, he offered the rose to Khushi. "Happy Valentine's day, Khushi.." he tried to smile.

Khushi, sensing his distress, sat beside him. "What happened, Arnav? Why are you upset? Today's show didn't go well?" She asked, worried.

"Yes, it went good...but..."

"No but..." Khushi interrupted with a big smile on her face. " Wait till you see what I have got for you.. ." Walking a few steps away, she picked a package from behind a bush and brought it in front of him. Rubbing her hands in glee she looked at Arnav. "Open it, Arnav.."

Arnav looked at the gift, confused. He looked up at Khushi. "Khushi, whats this?"

"Gift, Arnav... Your Valentine's day gift...Open it pleaseee.."

"But Khushi ..."

"Uffo, Arnav..." Taking hold of his wrist, she dragged him to the gift. "Open it. Now!"

Arnav knelt in front of the gift and opened it. And then just stared at it wide eyed. "Khushi you didnt!!" He shouted suddenly, making her jump.

"Wh..aat? Arnav I thought you will love it.." she looked at him, hurt.

"You idoit!" He ran a hand through his hair. "How much did you waste on this?"

"Waste?" Khushi looked at him, confused and shocked. "Arnav, I brought this to make you happy .."

"Well I am not! I am not happy! You must have wasted your whole saving on this! What was the need, Khushi. The guitar I have was working fine.."

Khushi just kept looking at him, before a hiccup left her mouth, followed by another, then another, and soon tears started flowing down her cheek.

Arnav cursed himself and took her in his arms. "Khushi, no ...stop crying..."

"I thought it will make you happy... the old one wasn't working properly...." she sobbed. "It didn't take all my savings... Uncle D'sillva gave it to me at a cheaper rate... But you are angry now...." she sobbed harder.

"No...I am not. .. I am sorry for shouting... You are about to leave the orphanage, Khushi... you will need every penny you have saved... and then you go and waste a big junk on this... And also the fact that I couldn't manage enough money to buy you the dress you liked so much added to my anger.... I am angry at myself...

Khushi pulled back and looked at him.

"What dress?" She asked

"The one which you liked last Sunday when we were passing through the market..."

"That? Arnav, it was too expensive... Yes, i liked it... but don't want it... I am glad you didn't manage enough money to buy that... It would have been a waste..."

"Really? What about you then? Why did you waste your money on this guitar..."

"Arnav?" She lifted her hand to cup his cheek. " Can't you see the difference? That was just a cloth... this.." she pointed at the guitar.." ...this is your dream..."

Moved by her words and gesture, a sudden lump formed in his throat. Noone has ever cared for him so much. He was so glad to have her in his life. He knew she had loved that dress, and instead of buying that dress for herself, she had bought a guitar for him. He will be damned before he forgets her love and sacrifices. She always inspires him to work harder, to dream bigger. If not for himself, he will do it for her. He will achieve his dream for her.

"C'mon now, Arnav... pick the guitar and sing something for me..." Khushi encouraged him.

Still pretty sad about not being able to bring her a gift, he picked the guitar and sat on the bench. "Thank you so much, Khushi... I love this guitar..." he gave her a small smile. "Now what would you like to listen?"

Khushi smiled and sat beside him. "Anything, Arnav.."

Arnav stared at her lovely face for few seconds before pulling a chord