Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I took two steps into the house before I started to cry. I hated school, even though it was my only true escape from my life, it brought back so much pain.

“Hi, Mum,” I whispered to the dark house between sobs. “I tried again; I failed. How much longer?”

I knew there would be no answer. There never would be. Mum had died two years ago, and crying wouldn’t bring her back.

Slumping down to the floor against the wooden door, I curled my legs to my body, hoping the old comfort gesture would do as it should, but it didn’t. The sobs continued and I leant my head back against the oak.

 Outside, it began to rain. As quickly as I heard the soft pitter-patter of raindrops against the windows and door behind my head, a clap of thunder echoed through the empty hallway before me, lightning sending the living room to my left bright as it shone through the half closed curtains.

The weather echoed my current emotions. I felt like I wanted to curl up and hide away, or scream at the cruel world until I was blue in the face. Life was dismal, and that was the way it would always be, forever.

Three knocks sounded off the door, making me jump more than the lightning had. “Hello?!” a strange male voice called out. “Is anybody in?!”

“Go away!” I shouted back, fear dripping of each of my words, unfortunately.

“Please! I need help! They’ll kill me!” His knocking became more insistent, louder and faster.

I stood slowly, wiping away the tears that had already stained my already flawed face, undoubtedly leaving mascara and eyeliner stains trailing down my cheeks, soaking my school jumper sleeve as I did so. I opened the door an inch and peeked out, at first only noticing only the violent sky.

The man outside was taller than I expected, and of me. He pushed open the door, making me stumble and trip over, landing against my cheek. He slammed the door instantly behind him, leaning heavily against the wood. “Damn, that was close!”

“Get out,” I stammered, standing shakily to my feet and backing against the wall closest to me, but so I was still facing him. “I didn’t invite you in! Get out of my house!”

The man was scary. My panicked brain barely managed to take in the few features I noticed in those few seconds; dark hair, black eyes, and three scars marring his otherwise perfect face. He looked almost evil.

“Are you mad?! They’ll kill me, girl!”

“What-”

My words were cut off as a hefty weight threw itself against the door making it rattle against its hinges. Snarls and growls sounded out and increased in pitch, turning shriller with each passing half second, and then scratches began at the lower section of the old door.

“They’ll kill me!” he repeated, quickly grabbing the key from the table beneath the coat rack beside him and locked the entrance door. “That will not hold them forever. They will get through eventually.”

“I don’t care!” I shouted, springing forward and pushing against his chest with as much force as I could muster. “I said ‘get out!”

“Your heart is cold,” he snarled, grabbing my wrists in his large grasp. “How would you like me to throw you out to those wolves?”

He made a move as if to unlock the door. The hatred in his eyes made me sure he wouldn’t think twice about letting me be dog meat – their meat!

I aimed and kicked, hitting him straight on target between the legs. For the first time, I was glad my dad had forced me to take self defence lessons! I wasn’t going down without a fight – especially to a man who looked like a failed bond villain!

He let go of me and bent, waiting for the pain to recede. Any one else would have ran; phoned the police or at least shouted for help. Instead I got into stance like my sensei showed me, fists ready and legs set to run or attack at any given moment.

He looked up and smiled cruelly at me. “You want to live?” He stood and took a step backwards, reaching behind him to pull a crooked stick out from his back pocket. “Maybe you could be useful to me…”

“Last chance,” I warned, “get out.” Outside, I may have looked calm, ready and prepared, but inside… I was shaking and screaming with fear.

“Your heart is cold” he repeated, twirling the gnawed stick in a figure eight before us, pointing it directly at me. “You will attack and kill those out there. You will be my beast.”

“No chance.” I went to take a step forward, but fell to my knees as pain rocketed through my spine. From there it travelled through my limbs and head, making me screech from the awful feeling. Within seconds I passed out, sure I was about to die.

“Kazran! Where the hell have you been?!”

Mother was leaning against the doorway to the living room, unable to stand for herself. That and her slurred words told me she’d been drinking again. Her hair was unbrushed and she was still wearing her pyjamas from the day before.

“I was at school.”

“You should be here! I need help!”

I shook my head. Two days she had lasted. Two days she had managed to stay sober for. Two days without me having to face her demons. “Are you hungry?” I asked, taking her arm and taking most of her weight and walked – well, half carried – her to the sofa and laid her down, taking the half empty vodka bottle from the coffee table before she could grab it. “How about I get you a cup of tea?”

“No! Gimmee!” It was like a child had taken over what used to be my mother.

“You’ve had enough to drink today.” I picked up the other empty bottles and carried them into the kitchen, throwing them all straight into the bin. Where she had gotten them from in the first place was beyond me. She had promised not to drink again.

“Mother?” I peeked into the living room, prepared to duck, prepared for something to be thrown at my head, but mother was asleep and stretched out, almost off the sofa. I pushed her back on and pulled the throw blanket out from behind the armchair and lay it over her soft sleeping form. “What am I going to do with you?” I asked no-one, knowing nothing could be done.

Beauty is the Beastजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें