I eyed it dubiously. "Why...?"

"Just take it." When I did not move, Hedyr settled the ax handle in his grip and swung it demonstratively. "They have strong blades, they are light, and you can swing or throw them."

I kept my hands at my sides. "If you have ever seen me try to throw something, you would not be offering me that."

"Azadryn." Hedyr's composure started to falter. "If you expect your own body to suffice as a weapon, you are mistaken."

"I don't. I said I would try-"

"Then trust me!"

"I didn't think I was going to learn to chop down trees."

With a thump that made me start, Hedyr whacked the ax head into the edge of the table. "I am not taking 'no' for an answer." He squared off in front of me, folding his arms. "You asked for my help; let me help. Take the axes and allow your friends the comfort of knowing you have something to protect you."

Over Hedyr's shoulder, I could see Tryven's wide eyes. He looked like he was struggling not to laugh.

Heaving a sigh, I held out a hand. After pulling its blade from the table, Hedyr gave me the first ax and picked up the second to swing loosely from his fingers.

"Thank you," I managed.

Nodding sharply, Hedyr led the way out of the armory. I glanced around again at the weapons filling the walls and tables before falling into step behind Tryven.

We stepped back on the street, lit with torches with blue and purple flames. The various tunnel streets lining the doorways of houses and shops led up or down to a central marketplace, the heart of the underground city. By now I was starting to learn my way around, though I still avoided the place when possible.

"I will work with you until our next patrol," Hedyr told me over his shoulder. We had started up a long flight of sharply-cut steps, different from the one we had taken down. "Aridon has agreed to help when I am not here."

We climbed the stairs with only the light of a lantern to guide us. I did not breathe easy until I felt a cool, fresh breeze on my face. Daylight had faded and the lamplighters had finished their rounds.

The stairs let out directly onto the street, on a corner where the road curved around and up. The brothers escorted me home, where Erizar was waiting for me.

"Tomorrow then," Hedyr said to me after he had greeted Hedyr. "At dawn?"

I lifted on shoulder. "No reason to wait," I agreed.

"Good night, then."

Erizar stood in the doorway and said nothing until the brothers were out of sight. "Where were you?"

"The armory. Hedyr had something to give me." I indicated the axes I had tucked into my belt.

Humming, Erizar moved aside and waved me into the house. Hatesa had already gone to bed, and Erizar spoke in a low tone.

"So you intend to continue this endeavor? To learn weapons craft?"

I focused on sliding my new weapons free of my belt. "I have not been given much choice," I muttered to one gleaming ax head. "And I understand the reason."

"Then you will join the patrols?"

"No," I said immediately. Raising my head, I met Erizar's solemn eyes.

The furrow between his eyes eased a little. "Good." With a sigh he sat down at the table. He was silent for so long that I decided he had nothing left to say. As I was moving to the ladder, however, he spoke.