Ary sighed and cocked her head. "Bella, how about a little exchange?" I narrowed my eyes curiously. "I will answer one question about myself if you will tell me your story."

I took a deep breath as I considered her offer. Though I wanted to ask her so many questions, I was still uncomfortable about exposing my past.

Ary sensed my inner turmoil. "Bella, you don't have to tell me anything if you're not comfortable." She smiled, her eyes softening.

"So, I can ask you any question?" I had to know my limitations. I wasn't completely committed to this exchange, but I was thinking about it.

Ary pursed her lips as her eyes narrowed. "I will answer any question that is not directly related to my family." Her condition lowered my spirits.

Since Ary, by her own admission, was not a vampire, my speculation had returned to her family, who were off limits.

I sighed, continuing to think. I reviewed my previous conversation with Ary, searching for something to ask. I sucked in a deep breath as I thought of the perfect question. "Okay, Ary, it's a deal."

She smiled, satisfied. "All right, Bella, you first. Ask away."

I exhaled loudly and looked at Ary. "Earlier, I asked you how old you were." She nodded. "You said you were eighteen. Ary, how long have you been eighteen?"

Ary's eyes closed as she chuckled. She slowly reopened them and her smile broadened. "A very long time, Bella."

I nodded, a little confused. Can't she give me a precise number? "All right, can you give me a date?"

Ary's eyes saddened, and her smile retreated. "I wish I could, Bella. I don't know myself."

My neck jerked back as my brow dented. "You don't know your own birthday?"

She shook her head. I sighed. I guess it's my turn now. "Before I tell you this, Ary, I need you to promise to be open-minded and not write me off as a freak."

Ary cocked her head to one side—just like the first time I saw her at lunch—and half-smiled. "Bella, you just saw my eyes change from blue to yellow, and you're worried about me thinking you're a freak?"

I was about to speak when a memory stopped me short. I saw an image of a perfect boy and an average girl sharing secrets, and all at once, I heard a voice. I tell you that I can hear voices, and you think you're the freak. I wrapped my arm around my stomach.

"That doesn't help, you know. It only makes it worse."

Ary's words confused me. "What do you mean?" I stared at her, still feeling the pain swelling.

She simply sighed. "Nothing." Her demeanor changed, and a smile spread across her face. "Now you've heightened my curiosity. I hope your story is as interesting as you make it out to be. I swear not to think any less of you, Bella."