Chess Piece

Tillie was called to Ciel's study shortly after breakfast. Ciel sat at his desk and silently scrutinized her. Sebastian stood just beside him doing the same. She stood with hands clasped in front of her and eyes fixed on the window behind them. Snow had begun to fall. She shifted awkwardly as the silence pressed on. The boy was eerily solemn for a twelve-year-old.

"It is to my understanding that you can change your form," said Ciel.

"Yes, sir."

"What exactly are you?" he asked, leaning forward in his chair.

"That's an interesting question, sir. Even I don't fully know, to be honest. But I will tell you all I can," said Tillie.

"Fair enough. Proceed."

"I get my abilities from my parents. My mother was from a tribe that believed in animal spirit guides. My father had a Navajo father and white mother. He first appeared to my mother as a wolf and she believed he was her spirit guide. My mother's tribe forbid her from seeing him because they believed he would steal her soul. There were tales of Navajos able to walk the earth as animals and collect souls by their gaze alone. My parents ran away together from Montana to California. Skinwalkers were feared legends of the dark. We were very much shunned by people who only believed rumors. When I was growing up, my parents noticed I had a weird tendency to be drawn to animals. Cats in particular. My father tested me to see if I had the same ability as him."

"Well," said Ciel. "What happened?"

"We're able to become the animals we put in a trance. In other words, they become docile with one glance and we seem to acquire their very essence. It explains why I'm so cat-like," explained Tillie. "I entranced my favorite alley cat. My cat form is kind of like a reflection of my human form. The eyes are the same color and my hair is almost like a tortoiseshell coat color."

"Your house cat form is not what I'm interested in," said Ciel impatiently. "A mere cat could not kill Shuang's associates in an alley."

"Ah," said Tillie. "So Sebastian's already told you…"

"He told me you killed them, yes," said Ciel. "What I want to know is how?"

"Shall I show you, sir?" Tillie smoothed out her skirts and stood up straight. Sebastian's eyes glinted in anticipation. Ciel's brow rose in intrigue.

"Please."

Tillie gave a smile and then suddenly a large black panther was standing in the middle of Ciel's study. Ciel sat up abruptly and stared at the big cat in awe. Big yellow eyes stared back at him, and sharp, pointy teeth were bared. Sebastian had a wide smile on his face as he took in the features of the panther up close. Her coat was a dark slate color and spotted with black jaguar spot patterns.

"Magnificent," breathed Sebastian. Tillie shifted back to human.

"I cornered those two men in an alley by the docks. They never saw me coming until I was right on them," said Tillie, a sick smile twisting her features at the memory. "Grell came to reap their souls after I was done with them."

"Well, that explains that," remarked Ciel. "As for another matter, how are you able to tell that Sebastian is a demon and that Grell is a Reaper?" Tillie shrugged.

"Maybe my abilities make me more spiritual than most," she said. "My parents never liked to talk about or associate with those type of people. I do remember a man like Sebastian lived in El Dorado. He lived off of the souls of people at the saloons." Sebastian huffed.

"Hardly like me. I seek souls of a higher quality," said Sebastian haughtily. Ciel blinked and then stared at him.

"Tillie, go see to the guests in the drawing room," said Ciel. "We will be there shortly."