Insane - Ch. 2

My brain does a funny thing sometimes. It lets me survey a situation, slowing the whole world to almost a standstill, making me feel like I am the only living soul alive.

To be honest, I'm thankful for this ability. It does come with an odd side-effect, however. It sometimes singles out certain details that usually stick in my mind forever.

I will never forget how the hair stood up on the back of my neck, or how cold the fingers were that clamped on my wrist. Almost as if it were a warning about the person that possessed them.

"Don't poke your nose where it doesn't belong, sweetheart," the low voice growled, the speaker's lips brushing my ear. I wrenched my wrist from their grasp and whirled around.

A pair of gleaming hazel eyes--almost gold, from the way the bits of yellow spread out from the pupils- challenged me when I met them, and I stepped back from the weight of their glare. The man condescendingly looked me up and down and smirked."You one of Rafe's bimbos? Jesus he's got to stop letting you guys roam loose around the house..."

My jaw hung open at the insult. Bimbo?! We'll see who's a bimbo when I sucker-punch him in the face. 

"Rafe! Hey Rafe! Get into the map room!" He shouted out into the vast hallway. I wanted to run but the douchebag was blocking my path, and whoever he called was probably already on their way here and would spot me if I dashed out.

"What do you want, Gabe?" An annoyed voice replied. The owner of the voice popped his head in, and at first I was awestruck, thinking that I was looking at a carbon copy of the douchebag that called me a bimbo. 

But then I noticed the slight differences in their facial structures and a couple silver hairs and dark eye circles made Gabe appear to be the elder sibling. Brothers.

Rafe raised an eyebrow when he spotted me and nodded towards my direction. "Who's this?" 

Gabe seemed taken aback by his brother's response. "I thought she was one of those whores you're always bringing home..." 

Both brothers then turned their heads towards me, and I could almost visualize the wheels spinning in their mind, coming to the conclusion that I wasn't welcome in their home. But in that instant before they could finish processing it, I had planned my method of escape and made my move.

I told myself I was going to punch that Gabe asshat. So I did. Right in his probably-surgically-enhanced nose. After he had keeled over in pain, clutching his nose, I turned and snatched the dusty globe off the filing cabinet and whacked Rafe over the head with it. His arms raised in instinctual defense and the plastic globe cracked in half and clattered to the floor. 

A flash of gold that I hadn't noticed before caught my eye as I raced out to the stairs, but I didn't have time to linger. 

"Hey!" 

I ignored whoever shouted and leapt towards the stairs, bounding down as fast as I could go. I risked myself a look back and saw Rafe standing at the top of the stairs, his body tense, arms raised. 

In his hands, was a gun, its shiny, engraved barrel pointed at me. 

In all honesty, it was a very pretty gun, complete with a pearl handle. 

It wouldn't be pretty, however, if a bullet hit me and I ended up with another painful, possibly lethal, wound. I could see Rafe's stormy eyes narrow as he aimed at me and I ducked when his wrist tensed to pull the trigger. 

The blast from the gunshot was followed by a loud shatter and an equally high-pitched shriek.

"RAFAEL ADLER! I told you not to shoot that gun inside the house!"

My head shot up and I saw the stern-looking woman from earlier with an even sterner expression on her face at the bottom of the stairs. Next to her heels lay a shattered vase, the result of the bullet. Scooped into her arms was Heidi, who saw me and recognized me. Heidi proceeded to wriggle out of her mistress' arms and scamper her way up to me, tail wagging happily, jerky breath panting in my face.

While Heidi was ecstatic to see me, I couldn't say the same for the rest of the Adlers.

I heard a shuffle behind me, and I didn't even need to turn around to know what was behind me, probably aimed right at my skull.

"I don't care what my mother says," Rafe warned. "If you make one move, I will fire this gun again."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welllll I hope you guys enjoyed this second chapter. I know it was short but I thought this would be a good place to end it for now. I'll try and update soon, but I don't have a set schedule. I should honestly be doing homework right now, but ew fuck homework tbh. LMAO, anyway guys, thanks for the votes and comments, I really appreciate them!!! <3