Chapter 6

Chapter 6

[ Louis POV ]

So, today was officially the big day. Woo.

My first day at Albany Penitentiary.

I walked inside and was greeted by Dillon almost immediately. He was smiling away, just like he was yesterday. Great, looks like I have a new best friend.

"Welcome back! Right on time." Dillon's voice was oh so cheery, and I just couldn't understand how someone could be so happy in a place like this. I nodded at him and he motioned for me to follow him, which I did, considering I really had no choice.

We walked and walked and walked through the building, which was definitely a hell of a lot scarier on the inside than on the outside. It wasn't an old place, in fact, it was far from that. It was definitely built recently, or renovated even. Pretty nice place, it was just...scary. To know that when you walk in here, no matter how pretty the place was, it was filled with mental, horrible people.

There were several corridors we passed by and walked through. Cells lined up along the walls, very secure I should add. They had a lot of big doors too, leading to wherever. And I mean big doors. Signs up on the wall, indicating what place was what. Stuff like that.

Patients were definitely locked up tight. I got a peek inside one of the cells before following behind Dillon once again. They had a bed set up against one of the walls, a sink and toilet, and a chair just sitting their in the corner of the room. The doors entering the cell were pretty sturdy looking, with a little window barred up on it for the patients to look out into the hallway when they pleased.

I hardly noticed when Dillon opened up another door and suddenly I was inside, the door shut behind me, and Miss Constance sitting at a desk in front of me. And Dillon was gone too.

"You're on time, nice job." Her lips curved up into a smile as she spoke, folding her hands neatly and placing them on her lap. I just nodded in response, I mean, what else could I say?

"Dillon is going to be your companion for a while here until you get used to the ropes. He'll be leading you around, getting you used to where everything is and the way things work around here." Miss Constance paused for a moment, gaze set on me, making sure I was grasping onto every word she said. "You'll be a guard. Watching over the patients, making sure no one is out of line. If anyone is to have a fit, you just need to grab onto them, and don't let go under any circumstance. Other guards will assist you in keeping them still and a nurse will immediately be at your side to sedate them. Just make sure to keep them still."

She gave me that look again to make sure I was paying attention, which I honestly was. I just had nothing to say.

"You'll either be ordered to let them go, or you'll get to go with another guard and take them back to their cell." "That's easy enough." I finally figured out something to say that wouldn't make me look like a total blundering idiot. She just chuckled and shook her head at me, the smile that was there once before had vanished.

"Some are a little hard to handle. Just be prepared. Now, you'll also be asked to do little favors for me, and for other staff members. Don't complain, go do what you've been asked, and you'll do just fine." I nodded and she stood up, her chair scraping across the floor as she did so, walking over to the door and opening it. I stood up and followed after her, her smiling slightly at me as I exited. I turned around and she placed a hand on my shoulder, "Welcome to Albany." And then the door was closed.

I just kinda stood there for a few seconds or so, processing everything she just told me. Sadly, I didn't have too much time to myself before Dillon strolled up to me, a big grin on his face.

"C'mon, we've got duties to attend to." And with that, we were on our way to the cafeteria.

We walked in to all of the patients already sat down at their tables, eating, some chattering away. Most likely about pure nonsense, who knows. It'd be interesting to see into the minds of some of these guys, hear about what they're really thinking.

And suddenly, I caught the gaze of a very familiar pair of eyes. I smiled to myself, pulling my eyes away from hers and following Dillon, leaning up against the wall and forcing myself to look around at the other patients.

Alice.

That name kept circling around in my head, over and over again. What could possibly be wrong with her?

That damn girl was stuck in my head. Her gorgeous green eyes, her blonde hair that fell in front of her face constantly, even the way she looked in that ugly uniform, she somehow made it look good.

All through breakfast, whenever we caught each other staring, she'd make a face at me, scrunching her nose up, sticking her tongue out, etc. And I'd make a dorky face right back at her, earning a laugh from her. Which I couldn't hear from where I was obviously.

Soon, breakfast was over, and I was instructed to escort the patients to the common room, along with some other guards. Luckily, Dillon wasn't one of them, and I silently celebrated his absence as we entered the common room, patients filing in and taking their places.

Although I had only been here once before, I noticed that the patients sat in the exact same place. Kind of like their own marked territories. They all just wandered to their individual places and stayed there, doing whatever. Singing, dancing, playing cards, rocking back and forth, playing with their hair, and other unmentionable things...

I took my place along the back wall and crossed my arms, observing all of the patients individually, trying to distract myself from that damn girl. But I knew it wouldn't be long before I'd finally give in and find myself staring at her, thinking about her.

Eventually, after closely observing every single human being in there, including patients and staff, I gave up. And I was focused on her. Everything about her.

I focused on the way her lips curved up into a mischievous smile whenever she lit a cigarette. And the way they formed a perfect "O" shape when she exhaled the smoke, sometimes attempting to blow out little smoke rings. I focused on the way she constantly had to brush her hair out of her face, tucking it behind her ear or just simply pushing it to the side. I focused on how her eyes would flutter every once in awhile when she smoked, inhaling and exhaling, pure bliss. And the way her eyes would twinkle as she watched the other patients doing whatever, who knows what going through her head.

Wow, Louis. You're pathetic.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts, when suddenly, I totally blanked. And my feet started moving, walking over to her. 'Nonono Louis. Don't do this. Don't.' My mind was finally working again, and I stopped and walked over to the wall, leaning against it, looking as if I was trying to get a better view of the place. But yet, I was much closer to her than before. And I tried so very hard to not notice her. But of course, I failed.

"Hi.." A voice snapped me out of my raging storm of thoughts, and when I looked up, my heart skipped a dozen beats.

There she was. Standing right in front of me. Smiling and staring up at me. The cigarette was still hanging in between her fingers, a few strands of hair hanging in her face. I blinked several times before coming to my senses, smiling back at her and saying a quick 'hello' back.

She laughed, tilting her head back a bit before nodding at the table, walking back over to it and sitting down, silently telling me to join her. So I did.

I sat down and she smiled again, bringing the cigarette to her lips once and exhaling the smoke in front of her.

"Let's try this again. Hi, I'm Alice."