Chapter 8.

• Dedicated to Everyone who is still reading!

Sorry guys, updates are gonna be really slow now! You know why... I think. If not, just ask.

Thanks for your patience. Hopefully, you've all recovered from Chapter 7 by now, huh?

Happy Klainiversary! This is my present to everyone.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kurt finally stopped writing, stretching out his tired hand. After taking a moment to recover from his vivid flashbacks that the writing had brought on, he looked up at Blaine.

Kurt was expecting an expression of horror, or something similar. He was sure Blaine would judge him for not telling anyone for so long.

But no. Blaine's eyes were shining with tears, but not tears of horror, or anger. Anyone who saw Blaine would know he was crying for Kurt, showing nothing but compassion.

"I...had no idea...that you..." Whatever Blaine had been about to say was cut off by a sudden attack of sobbing, startling Kurt a little.

Kurt patiently waited for the sobs to pass, wishing he could offer comfort somehow. Then he had an idea.

He reached his arm out. At first, Blaine thought Kurt's intention was to write more. He handed Kurt the notepad, only to have it ignored. Instead, Kurt reached further and took hold of Blaine's hand.

Now Blaine was the startled one, for a second. He was shocked out of his crying, feeling only Kurt's hand in his. Then, he smiled.

Because he was happy. He liked the feeling of warm electricity running through him. That's what it felt like. Blaine took another step closer to Kurt, setting the notepad on a table.

Then, because he was so happy, he put his other hand on top of Kurt's. It felt even better, and they stayed like that for a long time. Neither of them needed words to know what was happening.

Unfortunately, that was when Nurse C. came in to shoo Blaine from the room.

"Please, Nurse C., just a little longer? I want to say goodbye."

Nurse C., saw Blaine's and Kurt's clasped hands, and thought for a moment. Then she smiled.

"I was sixteen once too. Go on, ten more minutes. But if you're any longer, I'll cut your visiting hours in half for a week. So be quick!" Then, dramatically, she left the room.

Kurt didn't want to move his hand to write anything. But Blaine knew what he was thinking, saw it in his eyes.

"Get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" Blaine reluctantly took his hands away. He brushed Kurt's hair a little, and walked out of the door.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many hours later, Nurse C. did the final check on her patients. When she came to room 64, Lacey was awake and Kurt was half-asleep. as the nurse checked Lacey, Kurt only half-listened to the exchange, but caught a small detail at the end.

"Lacey, your vitals have stabilised. You know what that means, right?"

"I'm going home tomorrow." It was a statement, not a question.

"Yes, dear. Now try to sleep. You don't want to overexert yourself."

Kurt let himself fall asleep, barely processing the information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As promised, Lacey was discharged from the hospital the next day. She was all smiles, tall and strong and bright. Hardly the image of a girl with heart disease.

Lacey was undeniably strong, and Kurt would miss her. Even though they had only talked a few times, in the dead of night, she was still like a sister to Kurt. And who knew when, or if they would meet again?

Blaine must have heard the news that Lacey was home, because at the stroke of 11:30am, he wasn't there.

Probably helping Lacey adjust back to home. I'll be patient.

12:35pm...

Hmmm, it's taking a while.

2:00pm...

I hope nothing bad happened.

3:30pm...

Why isn't Blaine here?

4:45pm...

There's still time...

It wasn't until 5:15pm, past the cutoff time, that Kurt truly accepted it, carved in stone.

Blaine wasn't coming.

_______________________________________________________

I know, you hate me right now. Put down the pitchforks, everything will be okay! And again, happy Klainiversary!!! Celebrate by watching every Klaine encounter ever. I know I will.