Chapter Eleven

I have to say it were quite pleasant to be given the opportunity to kick back my feet for a while after our lengthy trip from Tours. We travelled a couple ‘o days in the carriage or occasionally up front in the drivers position for a change of scene but that were only if Bixby were tiring an awful lot and were in the mood for it. In that time we heard considerable many more stories and yes told our fair share in return and we matter-of-factly came to learn they’d been raised in the capitol itself, Paris which is where they met and began their company. I have to say I felt mighty proud if it were true, to know someone who dwelled in the capitol itself.

Anyways it were the afternoon of the second day if I remember correctly when my suspicions on the pair instantaneously arose again. I were sitting in the carriage, Jordan, Dredge, Simons and Bixby and I with Jaden and Lukas up front driving when Bixby said something that hit me as rather odd. We were captivated in debate when he says “why yes I had that an awful lot myself dear lad! Why it were an awful hard time back east, in Prague”. “But I thought you says you were from Paris?” I asked rather dumfounded and just for a second Bixby’s smile faded, turned rather scornful and I swear he and Simons shot each other a feared glance for a moment. But then they quickly composed themselves again and shot back “that is to say I was born in Paris, but moved eastwards as a child, met Simons there” “yeah do y’ think I’m the capitol born sort!” Simons sniggered in support. “Very likely” Dredge said in a rather sarcastic, mocking way though he had toned it down over time now provisions, food especially were plentiful.

Simons touched his heart lightly and let out an abrupt sob “why I know I’ve never really fit in with the gentry, but having it said from a friend hurts all the more”. Bixby were awful serious about it holding his hand and nodding in sincere agreement and Jordan seemed to sympathise with him an awful lot too even though it were clear Dredge were simply fooling about and didn’t mean a thing by what he said. “Dredge that’s too far, Simons and Bixby have done nothing but good things for us and you do nothing but insult them” Jordan scowled stonily obviously waiting for an apology but alas none were to come. “Oh it’s too much, too much” Simons sobbed, “Can we stop…. Stop the carriage, I must clear my head significantly” he added raising his voice so it could be heard by Lukas.

We soon found ourselves draw to a halt and Simons stormed out, rushing into the woods followed eagerly by Bixby who called out “now Simons, let’s be sensible about this”. “Well someone’s on their period” Dredge chuckled helping himself to a fresh glass of wine which Jordan quickly batted out of his hand angrily and scowled “that were awful mean”. He too then left the carriage leaving just Dredge and I. Dredge shrugged innocently to me as if he’d no clue what trouble he’d stirred and in reply I simply raised my eyebrows. Then I too departed.

*

With my great wit I knew something were wrong, Simons and Bixby seemingly had been telling their fair share of stretchers and I sure were gonna find out the truth… and soon. I sure knew there were more behind Simons storming off than him just being mighty cross, probably needed to speak in private and regroup after their petty mistake. So I snuck away, Dredge were eating, Jaden and Lukas were having a chat about sword fighting technique and Jordan were out of sight making it rather easy to do so discreetly. It were just being spotted by Simons and Bixby that worried me an awful deal, the thought of losing my only chance of gathering evidence haunted me even.

Following the track I’d seen Simons run I soon found myself hear muffled talking a short way off, and sure I could tell it were them, though their accents seemed to have gone a little mixed. It were only a matter of moments from hearing this that I came to spotting them and when I did so I were forced to duck mighty quick and lay low behind a tree which I saw to have a sufficient sized trunk to shield my presence. Though I must state my breath were a little heavier than I’d have liked. “It’s him, Huckleberry! He’s working out who we are, putting the pieces together. I mean he’s not some nobody, he’s got the wit of Adrian for sure”. And then it hit me, they knew my father, I’d not told them who he were I’d thrown them a stretcher on that and their accents, they’d changed no longer so posh. They were my scumbag, conning Uncles Brandon and Taylor Grant. For sure they were. I should’ve known all along they were always in disguise conning people, but what did they want with us?