vii || lovesick.

||||

"the kind of love you only see in fairytales.."

||||

A week had passed since first hearing the baby's heartbeat and mostly everything was going smoothly. This little devil called Morning Sickness had snuck up on me and was really wearing me down. Times like these I just wanted Dak to take care of me, that was always one of his specialties. I always slept best when he was next to me and I could feel his chest moving up and down with each breath. But as time passed though, the pain in my heart eased. All of the heartache I felt for Dak, turned into love and obsession for my unborn baby. I wanted nothing more than to be the best mom that I could, as terrifying as the thought of being a mom was.

Although feeling nauseous for the last week and a half had kept me down, I am determined to start living my life again. Deep down I knew I was capable of being a human being despite heartbreak and an unexpected child, and I was only using my morning sickness to stay inside my shell and not socialize.

Thankfully, the mall parking lot appeared bare. I shouldn't be surprised though, Sundays in the fall in Texas were like national holidays. Everyone sat glues in front of their television sets, just waiting until kickoff. Except for Beth and I.

"Hey!" the brunette squealed, as I turned the ignition of my car off.

"Hi. How are you?" I asked, hopping to the ground.

"I'm great!" she said whimsically. She didn't need to elaborate, the tone in her voice told me everything I needed to know. She was beautifully in love with the Cowboys running back and he was doing unbelievably well in his rookie campaign. You could practically see the hearts in Beth's eyes. "How are you feeling?" she asked, now focusing all of her attention on me.

"Not great. Everything makes me sick. But I am determined to enjoy a girl's day of shopping and then indulge in a football game later," I promised. Beth clapped her hands excitedly.

"It's good to have you back, Laynie!" she hugged me from the side as we walk towards the mall, escaping the Dallas fall air. Although the air felt clean, it was cold enough that you didn't want to be standing in the parking lot of the mall any longer than you needed to.

"So like I was thinking, you're obviously having a girl, and I think it would be just the cutest thing ever if you named her Beth after your best friend," Beth spoke enthusiastically as we strolled into a store crowded with pink clothing and overwhelming perfume.

"What makes you think I'm having a girl?" I asked suspiciously.

"I just can't imagine you with a boy," Beth shrugged. I loved this baby but I had never really thought about it as either a boy or a girl, to me it was just a baby.

"I can't really imagine me with a girl... I mean the father is a football player, I'm sure he is hoping it is a boy," I follow her around the store as she obsesses over each pink item and tosses it into her bag.

"Football players have girls all the time. I guess as soon as you told me, I imagined it would be a girl," Beth concluded. Shopping dragged on as Beth seemingly bought everything in that mall and my feet couldn't take walking another step. The nausea crept back into my stomach.

"Beth, I'm not feeling so good. I think we should go," I looked to her with pleading eyes. She put the shirts in her hand back onto the shelf and dragged me out of the mall. "I'll drive you back to the apartment," Beth said, placing each bag carefully into the trunk of her SUV as quickly as she could without breaking or crumpling anything.