Chapter 11. Warm Thoughts.

Start from the beginning

When the doors opened on the last floor, I started to feel a little panic of the sudden height, the emotion escalading as we moved forward into the raised platform area. There was another long pause as he looked around him; the sun had just set in, the thin dusting of orange and purple outlining the lights of the city slowly winking on the horizon, the top buildings and the city signs creating a feast to our eyes, a great positive change to the dullness of the hospital walls.

"I feel like I've just been released from prison."

I stifled an open laugh. "Have you ever been in prison?"

"Ok no, but it feels nice to be outside."

I took my chance to show him something I think he needed to see. I walked slowly towards the edge of the roof, repeating a slow mantra to keep my body from panicking from looking down to the floor from this altitude. A few feet short of the edge, I made a sudden stop and turned around to face Harry. I made a movement with my hand for him to get near me, and he did just that, without questioning.

The black training shoes on his feet making a steady noise as he looked over my shoulder and stared at the gorgeous sight of his girls waiting outside for him.
There were still tons of them camping out on the main entrance, taking up most of the garden up front, some of them sitting down, the cardboard signs and the phone screens shinning. It felt like every day more people arrived, and the hospital personnel were definitely not happy about it.

"Now this is a sight." I turned to see him, unsure of how he was going to react, but the simple glimpse of his cheeks turning up in full smile, let me know that this was already a fantastic idea.

"You can wave at them from here."

"No need to wave," He was still leaning over, taking them all in. "I always see them."

"They do ask a lot of questions."

He laughed. "I owe them everything."

"They are really intense."

"They mean well."

I didn't say anything back because my mind was drifting to that single fan that crossed the line. It was rumored to have happened like that, a crazy fan attacked him, as many others have done before to other known and famous people.

It made me wonder what this person looked like—the news announced him as a slightly older man, and I wondered if he had a crazy face and matching wild eyes, or if he was more like a serial killer, or an ex-convict, the evident experience with weapons making him so dangerous already.
But what if he was a regular person?

A normal face that you could see in a simple place like a coffee shop or running down the street, a person with intense impulses to kill, and that you could come across with a simple hello or goodbye while being oblivious to the strange desires. My scary thoughts were rising goosebumps on my naked arms, and I could only shudder to refrain myself from such horrible beliefs. I looked back to see Harry, only thinking that he was definitely lucky enough to be alive and standing.

"What are you planning to do, after you get out of here?" I found myself asking him, my mind still scrambled.

"Honestly, I don't know." He stood quiet for the longest time, just looking down from the building, his expression stoic, and then I heard his voice more matter-of-fact, decision reached. "I got an appointment tomorrow with some detective, he is coming to see me, so I guess it all comes down to that."

I said nothing more on the subject, deciding that it was not necessary to go into such dark places. There was no need to ask him anything else, the weight of what's coming, more than enough for him to endure already.

"Let's take you back to your room, I need to go home before it gets really late." I hated myself from ending the conversation and his time outside. "And I've got so much to study..."

"Do you live far away from here?" There goes his smile, I could see the disappointment of his face as I mentioned the going back to his room part, and he murmured the question to himself as much as to me.

"Not that far away, but the bus is a great help." I scrunched my nose as my mouth felt like it had a mind of its own. "And I don't live in a really safe area."

He nodded in acceptance.

"Then I won't be keeping you here any longer, thanks for the change of scenery." He gets right to the point, the signal that this conversation is almost over. "If this was an alternate universe and I got to witness this kind of support, I'd probably wouldn't believe it." He added as he made his departure from the edge of the building.

"In that alternate universe you wouldn't be a very popular singer." I chipped in the conversation, trying to lighten up the sudden mood. "So you better embrace your current one."

"True." Before I could figure out what to do next, or what I should say, he turned to where I was standing and hugged me. The gesture caught me by surprise and I didn't hug him back, not at first, but when he didn't let go, I found my arms move cautiously up around his broad shoulders, holding him tight. It felt so perfect to stand there and feel the difference between feeling the hot air of the L.A. night against my back, and the warm feeling of his body against my front.

I think that my favorite was the last one.

The hug was gentle and innocent; he didn't even moved his arms or his big hands from where they were splayed on my back. I had a lot on my mind to take in, as we stayed there, just lingering before making the decision to walk back inside.
We've been here more than enough, his family was probably wondering where he was.

My eyes drifted up to see him smile once more, his mouth tracing a slight smirk as he added. "In an alternate universe, I'd never let you ride the bus, I'd drive you home myself."