Chapter 10

„Where were you?", Dante asked me when I entered the room. Shayde's words still echoed in my mind and Dante being so close to me really didn't help. I ignored him and cooked some water for tea. I needed something to calm down and forget what had just happened. A cup of Earl Grey and a shower – or a bath. I wanted a bath, but we had no bath tub. For a moment I thought about visiting Reiji's estate and use his bathroom, but I discarded that idea. Visiting someone I planned to never see again? Bad idea. Very bad idea. I was so nervous I spilled my tea immediately and scalded my hand; my body was shivering like leaves in the wind.

„What is with you?", Dante asked and lay his hand on my shoulder. I flinched and ducked to wipe away the tea from the ground, then put the cup into the kitchen sink and the cloth to the laundry. Finally, I escaped Dante by going upstairs where I opened the window and let the fresh spring air in.

Love between humans and demons was forbidden. That fact didn't bother me; rather what Shayde hat said concerning me. I would go to hell because I fell in love with a demon. Did I love Dante? No, even the thought of it felt wrong. But would I, eventually, fall in love with him? Although I had sworn not to and closed my heart so firmly? Was this damn demon servant able to break my walls and let himself in? I had no choice but to shut everything again, my feelings, my thoughts. Everything unnecessary that had nothing to do with revenging my death had to vanish from my mind or else I wouldn't be able to go on like before.

„Yuki, what on earth is up with you?", Dante asked behind me. I breathed in and out, then turned around and smiled. If I acted like nothing had happened, maybe he would let me be.

„Nothing. I'm all right", I said and made my way to the bathroom. A shower. Now. But Dante blocked my way and grabbed my shoulders, looking me in the eyes seriously.

„Yuki, if it's about what you asked me before – look, I can't give you an answer right away-", he said and when I got what he was talking about, I couldn't help but start laughing. I knew I hurt him. I knew it, but thinking about what I had asked him was so funny.

„Look, Dante, I was just curious. There's nothing for you to worry about; you're my servant and I'm your master and this relationship will never change. Okay?", I said and left the room without waiting for an answer. Because it was clear to me I wouldn't get one. What was he supposed to say? This was just too awkward to describe. In love with a demon? He would eat my soul, so why?

Love between humans and demons is forbidden. He had to know about it. Dante wouldn't fall in love with me because he knew it and I wouldn't ever love him because he was nothing but my servant, a mean for the purpose of getting revenge. That was it. All that was to it.

So why did it hurt so much, knowing that I had just hurt him? I didn't want to love anyone. Especially not Dante who cared too much.

As I got out of the shower, I found my necklace lying on the dresser at the mirror. I put it on; it was cold and somehow it felt lonely. Frustrated, I pinched myself in the arm and stared at the image in the mirror. Restless, scared, panicking. No wonder Dante hadn't believed me when I had told him I was okay.

„Shiratori Yuki, you are pathetic!", I told myself. The girl in the mirror looked so broken. Why didn't I feel the way I looked?

„Yuki...?" Dante stood in the opening that had been a door once and looked at me. I couldn't tell what was crossing his mind now, his eyes gave no trace to what he was thinking. He was like a doll, exactly like me. I didn't look at him directly, I observed his reflection instead.

„What is it, Dante?", I asked. The pain in my voice scared me. Why did my body act like I felt something when I actually didn't? It made no sense.