It Looks Like Real Magic

Year 13 - It Looks Like Real Magic

It was just another summers day in Ottery St. Catchpole. Fred and George had finished there daily chores and had decided to head into the Muggle Village. They always tended to get a crowd of local girls around, when they started doing a bit of magic. Today was no different. They attracted every girl from 10 to 20 years old.

It only took a few tricks to get all the girls giggling. All but one, that is. There was a girl they'd never seen before, sitting on a bench, having a cry. Well, of course, they couldn't have that.

Beca always considered herself a plain girl. Hazel eyes and brown hair that her mummy kept cut short because it was thick and could become unruly. She looked like every other girl in her class back home; well, what used to be home. Her parents, Oliver & Elizabeth Glenn had recently died in a car accident and now she lived with her Mother's sister Louise, Lula for short and Lula's husband Phil. Her only known relatives.

Oh how she loved to hear her mummy telling the story of how a handsome stranger, just backpacking through Europe, had come through Ottery St. Catchpole and swept her off her feet. Whisking her away to America where they were supposed to live happily ever after. Now, as Beca thought of the story, all she wanted to do was cry. Aunt Lula and Uncle Phil were tired of hearing it, so they banished her from the house. "It's a beautiful day," Uncle Phil yelled, "Go outside and play."

There was a park in the middle of town with a bench where she could sit and cry without bothering anyone or anyone bothering her. And all she wanted to do today was cry. Today was Beca's 13th birthday. Her first birthday without her parents, her first birthday in this strange town, her first birthday that she felt like no one on the planet even cared that it was her birthday.

Beca sat there, minding her own business, having her cry, when two boys came sauntering into town like they owned the place. They were putting on a magic show for the local girls; and as sad as Beca was, she couldn't stop from watching. As soon as they noticed her sitting there, they came over to her.

"Hi, I'm Fred."

one of them said. "And I'm George." said the other. "Would you like to see a bit of magic?" Fred asked and he pulled a piece of paper out of his back pocket and started folding it. He folded and folded until he'd created a bird.

It was a pretty wicked bit of folding, Beca thought, but not magic. He then threw it in the air. She watched as it glided down to land on her lap. It must have been the way he folded the paper and the force of the wind, she thought, but it looked like the bird was flying.

"Here you go then."

said George and he too handed her a folded up piece of paper. He laid it in the palm of her hand and then pulled out a "wand" and said "abracadabra." Beca was so in awed by what George was doing that she didn't even notice Fred snickering at George's use of the very non-magical word. When George tapped the paper it bloomed like a rose. It was the most amazing thing Beca had ever seen. She was completely speechless.

The twins felt their work here was done. They didn't know why the girl had been crying, but they'd stopped her. "See you later." the both said in unison, as they walked away.

Immediately afterwards, a girl Beca hadn't even noticed before, rushed over to her. "Which one of the twins do you like best?" she asked.

Beca was still so stunned by what she'd just seen that all she could do was hold the flower up to the girl. No words were able to come out of her mouth.

"Good!"

the girl said, "because I like Fred the best." She then grabbed Beca by the arm and pulled her off the bench and towards the twins. "Hey guys, wait up!" the girl yelled whilst chasing after the boys. Beca clutched her pieces of paper as the girl drug her along.