"I'm eighteen," I said instead.

"To survive that long with the obscurus," I think he might have smiled, "you must have some very strong magic."

Those words, coming from him, made me feel...hopeful. Hopeful that I might actually become who I want to be—who I needed to be. Hopeful that I might actually have a place in this world of magic.

He might have said that to change the mood, but it still made me happy.

"Thank you."

"Once we get you a wand and find someone to train you, you'll make a fine wizard."

Wait.

"You're not going to train me?" I turned around so I can face him.

He gestured for me to follow him. I obliged, walking through the curtain, leaving the obscurus behind us.

"I'm not exactly...qualified to teach you magic."

"What do you mean?"

"I know most of the spells and potions you need, but I think you'll be better off learning from someone who teaches at Hogwarts," he said, "or at least someone who graduated." He added, quieter. I was curious, but decided not to ask.

"Who's going to teach me then?" I was worried. What if they don't like me? What if they think I'm horrible at magic and decides to give up on me? With Mr. Scamander I felt just a little more...secure. The worry was still there, of course, but it wasn't as strong. I mean, he was nice to me, even after what I did to New York. He even said himself that I would be a good wizard.

Then again, what if I don't live up to these expectations? What if I really am a terrible wizard? What if I was a squib or...whatever Mr. Graves told me I was.

Dear God, I think I'm going to be sick.

"There's someone I know. I'm supposed to go talk to him after I leave New York, so I can introduce you then." he looked down at me, and I think he could see how much this idea distressed me, because he continued by saying, "but if you really want me to teach you, I will."

"I don't know," I admitted.

"That's okay." he smiled encouragingly. "How about we meet him, and you can see who you like better?"

I liked Mr. Scamander. I perhaps liked him a little too much. I couldn't explain it, but I've felt this way towards...other people before. Maybe it was because I thought of him as a friend, I—I don't know.

"Okay..."

Mr. Scamander smiled lightly. "I'm going to head up. Do you want to come with, or do you want to stay down here?"

I was about to reply when my stomach audibly growled—loudly. I might have found it comical if it happened to anyone besides myself. I felt heat rush to my face, and it dawned upon me that I haven't eaten for over twenty-four hours.

"S-sorry," I hurriedly sputtered, embarrassed. I held my arms to my stomach, as if that would turn back time and muffle the growl. Maybe I should go up with him; I don't think he has any food down here. Even if he does, it's probably for the creatures, so I'm not sure I want to eat it.