Cole's POV

"So what are your plans tonight Jay?" I ask my brother while grabbing an apple off the counter.

"Nicole is supposed to come over after school. I'm not sure what we're going to do, though," he replies nonchalantly with a shoulder shrug.

I don't know what he sees in that girl. Yes, my opinion is biased since I've had a crush on the same girl for what seems like forever, but he seriously needs to rethink his choice. Knowing the two of them, things are probably going to get heated since it's Valentine's Day. Luckily I won't be at home to find out. I'm taking Tessa out for dinner and asking her to prom. I told her earlier this morning that I would pick her up later tonight.

"What are you doing on the day of love?" Jay asks me, a spark of curiosity visible in his eyes. Like he cares. He knew about the torture going on and didn't do anything to put an end to it. His girlfriend was torturing my Shortcake while I was gone and I'm still not okay with it.

"If you must know, I'm taking Tessa to dinner," I say before taking another bite out of my apple. Noticing the time I hurriedly finish my apple and then grab my bag before leaving.

On the way to school, I stop at the first flower shop I see. I have no idea what flowers to get Tessa so I go the classic route and buy red roses. When I get to school I make my way to her locker with the flowers, hoping she will be surprised. I am almost at her locker when I see her. Her back is towards me but her blonde hair is put in a high ponytail. She animatedly talks to someone, obviously not noticing my stalker habits. With my ego the size of Africa, I march up to her with the flowers like I own the hallway.

"Happy Valentine's Day, my lady," I announce, not caring who in the hallway looks. I quickly peck her cheek and then hand her the flowers.

A deep shade of red appears on her cheeks and a smile tugs at the sides of her lips. Soon she is smiling ear to ear.

"Thank you," she replies softly.

"Meet me after school?" I ask, to which she nods her head.

She walks towards her first class with the bouquet of flowers tucked in the crook of her arm while I walk towards my first class. I want tonight to be perfect. That's the thought running through my head the entire day. No one seems to care about what the teachers have to say since they are all discussing their Valentine's Day plans.

After what seems like forever, school is finally over and I find myself back at Tessa's locker, waiting. While waiting for her, I check my phone.

"She should be here by now," I think to myself. Once again I check my phone to see if she texted me, but she hasn't and it's well past the end of school. I try calling her, but it goes straight to voicemail. Right as I am about to give up after trying to call her seven times I notice her walking towards me. Her eyes don't have their usual sparkle. Instead, they're sad.

"What happened?" I carefully ask while pulling her close to my body, trying to comfort her. I don't like seeing Tessa sad.

"Nothing you need to worry about. Can you drive me home?" she asks with pleading eyes.

I can't say no to her, no matter what. Looks like tonight's plan is going to be a little different than what I originally had in mind. I nod my head in response to her question. With our fingers intertwined we leave the building and drive to her house. Minutes later we are parked with the engine off.

"Are we still on for tonight?" I ask. I know it makes me sound like I don't care about her feelings, but I need to know if our plans for the evening have been canceled because of whatever happened.

She just nods her head. She's been quiet all day. Not much talking or texting unless she needed to. I'm worried about her, but I don't want to push her to tell me. I want her to come to me. I care about her and I want her to know that.