Chapter O n e.

Tamara Ilic.

I glide the cold blade across my wrist, a soft whimper erupting from my lips as the sharp blade cuts open each layer of skin. The warm blood escapes the now open cuts and runs down my fingers, landing on the mahogany tiled bathroom floor.

I feel tears brimming at my eyelids as I lean down to take some toilet paper from the bathroom floor. My lips begins to tremble and I feel my throat close up but, I refuse to give in. I quickly take the toilet paper and rub it against my skin, removing the dry blood that lays on my arm and fingers. I then wrap the tissue around the cut and press against it, hoping to prevent anymore blood from escaping. I open the cabinet doors and pull out a plaster. I remove the tissue and carefully place the plaster on the open cut.

I wince, taking my shirt from the bathroom sink and throwing it on. I carefully pull down the sleeves, watching to be sure it covers the fresh cut on my right arm. Once I'm sure it does, I scan the bathroom for any blood then slowly walk out.

I take a bobble from my bedside table and tie my long brown hair into a tight bun on top of my head. I walk to my mirror and scan my every feature. I double check myself then, grab my book bag and hurry down the hallway.

My flat heeled converse make a clicking sound as I walk down the stairs. I plaster a fake smile on my lips as I hurry into the living room. I sigh, seeing my mother passed out on the couch, beer cans surrounding her as she snores quietly.

"Don't wake her." I turn my head to see my eighteen year old brother Justin, sitting at the breakfast bar. His voice carries a warning tone as he speaks.

I scoff quietly. "I wasn't going to. I'd like to start my Junior year in high school without having an argument with my mother." I sigh, taking an apple from the fruit bowl. I quickly wash it then, take a small bite. I take a drink of water then, throw the apple in the bin and wipe my mouth. Justin shakes his head in a disapproving matter.

"What?" I ask.

"You need to eat more Tamii. You're almost anorexic."

"I am not!" I disagree. "And, I eat enough."

"Like what? Tamii, you haven't eaten a full meal since last year."

"And that's my fault? No. Tell that to everyone who has ever called me fat."

He sighs. "Tamii, you're not fat. You're one of the skinniest girls at our school and, certainly one of the prettiest. Those people that bully you are jealous of that."

I scoff at his statement. "What, like Tessa and Caleb? Justin, they're the most popular kids in school. Tessa is gorgeous and, every girl falls at Caleb's feet. They're far from jealous of the way I look." I reason.

"Tessa has fake beauty. She looks like an orange for crying out loud," He chuckles. I sigh, my expression remaining blank. "And, Caleb...Well, everyone knows that Caleb is Tessa's puppy."

"Whatever," I mumble, playing with the sleeves of my T-Shirt. "Can we go now? I'm going to be late for my first day as a Junior and, you're going to be late for your first day as a senior." I state, changing the subject.

He grabs his car keys from the kitchen table. "Sure. Lets go." He stands from his chair, moves around me and walks out into the front garden.

I roll my eyes and follow him. The cold air weaves through my hair as I walk to the car. I step into the passengers seat, close the door and, fasten my seat belt. I lean forward, waiting as Justin jumps into the drivers seat and turn on the radio.

Justin pushes the key into the ignition and pulls out of the driveway. "So, are you excited for your first day as a Junior?" He asks.

I roll my ocean blue eyes as I glance out the window, enjoying the scenery as we pass through. "Ecstatic."

Fifteen minutes later, we drive into the school parking lot. Justin parks the car in his usual parking space then, removes the keys from the ignition. He steps out, giving a quick wave to every passing student.

Justin was popular here. I, was not.

I sigh, running my hands through my hair one last time then I step out. I close the passengers seat door and sigh. I glance around for a second before my eyes land on Tessa Smith, the most popular girl in high school. She was an original plastic and had made it her living goal to make my life a misery.

She catches me staring and glares. I gulp, break my stare and, glance at the ground.

"Tamii," Justin calls, a hint of annoyance lingering in each word he speaks.

I glance up, my heart racing a hundred miles an hour. "Yes?" I question, totally oblivious to my surroundings.

"I'm going in. Are you coming?" He asks.

I nod my head. "Yeah. I need to get my schedule from the office before school starts." I state quietly.

I walk closely to Justin as we walk into the school, afraid that Tessa or Caleb would attack me otherwise.

Once we get inside, I leave out a sigh of relief. "Thanks Justin." I smile, pulling him in for a quick hug. "I have to get my schedule from the front office. I'll see you after school, okay?" He nods, planting a soft kiss on my cheek. I giggle, flash him one last smile then, walk away.

I glance down at my newly manicured nails and smile.

I reach the front office and sigh. I push open the door and walk in. I smile at Jane, the secretary as she sorts out papers on her desk.

I avert my eyes to a boy standing in front of her desk, waiting patiently. He looks around seventeen. I scan his blonde hair in an array of abstract spikes. It was cute, actually. But, I avert my eyes back to his face.

I sigh and sit down on the chair at the back of the office.

The boy glances up and stares. He flashes me a small smile then turns around once again.

Jane places her papers on the table, glances up and, smiles at the boy.

"Hey," She grins. "What do you need?"

The boy clears his throat then begins to speak. "Hi. My name's Niall Horan. I'm new here. I uh, need my locker and combination number and my uh, schedule." He tells her as he begins tapping his fingers along the wooden desk.

A small smile curls at the corner of my lips as I hear an Irish accent come through in his voice as he speaks each word carefully.

"Oh," She gushes, a smile planted on her plump lips. "I was told there was a new student coming in today. Your schedule should be here," She pauses, searching her desk for the boys schedule. She grins, taking a crisp sheet from underneath her desk. She hands it to the boy and smiles. "Here you go. Your locker and combination number are placed on the top right hand corner of the sheet."

The boy nods, politely taking the sheet from Jane's hands. "Thank you." He smiles then turns around and walks out of the office.

I stand up and walk over to Jane, a small smile curled at my lips.

"Hey Jane." I chirp. "Can I have my schedule please?" I ask.

"Sure can," She grins, handing me my schedule for the year. "So, how was your Summer?"

"Same as the year before." I sigh.

A veil of pity washes over her face. "Your mom's still drinking?" She whispers.

"Yeah. It's gotten worse. You know, she didn't even sober up for my birthday last week."

"I'm sorry honey. And what about Justin, he's still looking out or you, right? I don't want to have to kick his butt."

I giggle quietly. Jane was amazing. She loved me more than my own mom did. "Justin is amazing. He's helped me a lot."

"Great. Tell him I said hi, alright?"

"Sure. I have to go though, I don't want to be late for my Art class." I smile.

She nods her head and stands up. She pulls me in for a quick hug and kisses my cheek. "I'll see you around, okay? And, if you need anything you know where to find me."

I nod. "Bye." I sigh, turn around and slowly walk out of the office.