Communication

Jasper looked out at the open field. The cool breeze tussling her huge mane of hair as she took in her surroundings.

She had grown quite accustomed to the barn that she now called her home.

Not that she had much choice in the matter.

A few feet beside her sat Lapis.

Her features blank.

Jasper frowned.

"Lapis...we're gonna have to talk to each other at one point or another" She said solemnly. 

The two hadn't spoken much since Jasper was healed. In fact, in the few months Jasper had been staying in the barn, Lapis had probably only said about four or five words to her.

Peridot had did most of the communicating for the two.

She found herself picking at her post corruption scars, a habit that she had picked up on when she was nervous or uncomfortable.

Lapis was silent, her blank stare not changing but she visibly tensed up.

Her reply was hesitant "I...don't think we do"

Jasper stood straight and walked in front of Lapis, glaring down at her.

"Well we do" She said firmly before looking away "We can't just ignore eachother like this" She scoffed "Hell, we live together Lapis"

The blue gem looked down.

Jasper sighed and knelt down "Look...I won't force you to do anything...just...try to communicate with me at least...if not for me then for R-...Steven"

Lapis paused for a while, and just when Jasper was fixing to give up she looked up and sighed, tears in her eyes "I'm sorry" she choked.

Jasper started to panic "W-what? No it's okay!"

"No. It's not okay. I tricked you. I hurt you. I was awful to you" 

The orange gem's eyes widened "Lapis no! I was just as bad! I tried to use you....you...did the right thing"

"The right thing for the wrong reason..."

Jasper grew confused "What do you mean?"

Lapis went quiet.

The only sound being the steady breeze sweeping away the hay and leaves.

"I needed you..."

The words caught Jasper off guard. Although she knew she was taking the phrase out of context, she couldn't help but let her heart flutter.

"I used you to take out all of my frustration"

"I was terrible to you...and even after it was all over...I wanted you back"

Lapis looked up "The worst part about it is...if I was given the chance...I'd do it all over again"

Jasper tensed up a little.

"I'm sorry..."

"N-no...it's fine..." Jasper started "Lapis?"

"Y-yeah?"

"Do you hate me?"

Lapis didn't seem to know how to reply "I-I...no"

Jasper didn't seem convinced.

Somehow, the answer hurt her.

She stood up slowly and began to walk away "Okay"

As she walked out of the barn, she stopped at the hand on her arm "W-wait"

Jasper turned to the other gem

"I don't hate you....I never did"

"It's complicated...I want to forget about you...but at the same time...I don't wanna leave your side"

With every word Jasper grew more and more emotionally confused

"O-oh..."

Lapis noticed Jasper's hurt expression

"W-what about you?"

"What do you mean?"

"How do you feel about me?"

Jasper paused.

She inhaled and placed her hands on Lapis' shoulders.

"You want me to be honest?"

Lapis looked away, blushing from the close proximity "Uh y-yeah"

Jasper closed her eyes and sighed "I absolutely despise you"

Lapis' eyes widened 

"I hate how ever time I'm near you, I feel like I can't breathe"

"I hate how...What's the word...Jealous...I get whenever you talk to Peridot or any other gem"

"I hate how even the slightest attention from you makes me feel hot and all weird inside"

At this point Lapis had slowly started to smile

"And I hate how even though you seem to want nothing more than to see me parish, I still want to crawl back to you just to see that rare yet flawless smile of yours"

She finally finished, a single tear making it's way down her cheek.

Lapis wrapped her arms around Jasper's waist and hugged her tightly.

Jasper broke down and pulled Lapis into her lap, holding her close and letting out all of the pent up stress she had been holding in.

When she began to calm down, Lapis turned to her and softly kissed her cheek "It's okay..."

Peridot slowly made her way back to the barn after spending the day at the temple with Steven and Amethyst.

She smiled when she walked in and saw Jasper and Lapis cuddled up next to each other on a pile of hay. Both of them had a small smile on there lips.

 I knew all they needed was a little time alone to communicate

The End~