Prologue

Minato cursed as he stared down the beast destroying his village, his home.

Minato's blonde hair cast a shadow over his eyes as the beast seemingly sensed him and began charging up a massive tailed beast ball.

"You won't have your way." Minato began preparing a highly advanced version of his famous jutsu, the Hiraishin. Transporting chakra is more difficult, I'll have to actually match the chakra output of the Fox's attack...

The beast released the bijuu ball, knocking over several buildings as it vaporized it's way towards Minato. Damn!

Minato's chakra surged within him and the bijuu ball slammed into a wall of interlocking seals. Wind kicked up around Minato as he grunted under the strain. Then the massive ball of dark purple chakra vanished, a bead of sweat rolled down Minato's cheek as the ground rumbled and an immeasurably bright flash of light from an explosion sounded out several dozen miles away.

Minato wasn't given any reprieve as his instincts kicked in and he spun, bringing his tri-pronged kunai around and aiming at his attempted assassin.

Minato watched in slow motion as his blade passed harmlessly through the man's face and was caught by the wrist. Minato began being sucked in by the man's now strange looking sharingan.

Before he could be sucked in though, there was a flash of yellow light and Minato vanished.

The man chuckled. "He truly is worthy of the title Yellow Flash..."
__________________________________

Minato appeared in a clearing, crouched and breathing out heavily. He was still winded from teleporting the tailed beast ball.

The man appeared in a swirl that distorted the air around him.

Minato stood, planting a Hiraishin seal with a burst of imperceptible chakra at his foot. "You got through my barrier, freed the ninetails, nearly got the drop on me, and you've got the sharingan. I only know of one person who could  meet all those qualifications, Madara Uchiha... but you can't be...he's dead."

The man chuckled, his voice deep and frightening. "Hmm... I wonder about that..."

Minato's eyes narrowed as he charged, the man going by Madara also charging.

Minato threw a punch, going straight through but getting caught by the chain. "Shit!"

Minato vanished in a yellow flash, appearing a few feet away, back to his enemy. Minato glared at the man from over his shoulder.

__________________________________
(We all know how that went;-D---)

Years later, we find that the village has been repaired, and it was a rainy day in the Village hidden in the Leaves. We find our blonde hero walking home, tears staining his young face. He'd just been evicted from the orphanage...again.

All he'd done was ask if he could have a blanket to sleep with because he was cold.

Now he was stuck, hugging himself for warmth as he walked through the October rain. A much older boy with anbu armor stepped in front of him. He had  grey spiky hair, a mask that covered the lower half of his face, and his headband covered one eye. "Hey Kid, you all right?"

Naruto tried to keep walking but the boy knelt in front of him and put a hand on his shoulder, looking Naruto in the eye. "What's going on?"

Naruto didn't speak, so the boy pulled his mask down and gave Naruto a smile. "Look, you can trust me. I-" Naruto hugged him, finally giving in and crying heavily.

The older boy stood, lifting Naruto up and holding him to his chest. Then the boy began speaking softly as he walked. "My name is Kakashi Hatake, I'm a jonin. I'll protect you with my life."

Kakashi then took to the rooftops, no need to let random strangers see his face.

"I'm Naruto...."
__________________________________

Hiruzen sighed. I'm too old for this bull shit. Between the villagers attempts at killing the boy, Danzo trying to turn him into a weapon, and the damn paperwork... it'll be a miracle if I'm not killed off because I don't have time to keep my skills sharp.

"Thank you, Kakashi. Could I ask you to watch him for a week or two while I have an apartment set up for him?" Hiruzen asked.

Kakashi closed his eyes. "Ive avoided this for too long. He's my sensei's son. I looked up to Minato-sensei like a father figure, allow me to raise the boy. He will need an actual positive influence in his life that won't try to hurt him or use him for personal gain."

"The council would never allow you to adopt him, sadly." Kakashi cursed mentally but Hiruzen spoke again, smirking slightly. "-but.... there's nothing they can do about him having a house guest. If he allows you to stay in his apartment then there's nothing anyone aside from myself can do to stop you from protecting the boy."

Kakashi smiled at that. "You truly earned your title of Professor."

Hiruzen nodded. "Comes with age. Just promise me one thing... when the time comes, make sure he knows his parents loved him and that he is a hero."

Kakashi nodded solemnly. "I understand. Other than Jiraiya I probably knew Minato-sensei better than anyone. I'll help Naruto be the man they'd be proud of."

Hiruzen stood. "Hawk." A man appeared out of thin air. He had a typical anbu outfit, white mask with a demon Hawk design, and short dark hair. "Bring me, Miyuu Emira. She's kicked Naruto out of the orphanage for the last time."

Hawk turned without a word, stalking towards the door silently, but before he could leave Hiruzen spoke again. "I want her alive, Captain Hawk."

Hawk seemingly didn't hear as he left.

Kakashi breathed out. "That guy gives me the creeps. You sure Danzo doesn't have a leash on him?"

At that the elderly kage nodded. "Yes. Danzo gave me the boy as a show of the power of his ROOT program...at least that was what he'd wanted me to believe. Hawk is a defective ROOT member. He couldn't get rid of his emotions."