Chapter 1

(Sometime around 2015)

At exactly three-thirty five in the afternoon Nicomaine arrives at the hotel and enters through its enormous revolving doors. She would be greeted by elegant mahogany walls laced with gold accents, the majestic marble floors beneath her feet, and the high ceilings adorned with elegant chandeliers. The hotel lobby was abuzz--bellboys shuffling luggages to and fro, the clucking of the women's heels as they walk across the floor, the chatter between hotel guests which drowned out the soft, elegant tune of the piano from the other side of the room. 

Just after the revolving door stands old Mr. Walter who tips his hat in greeting and points her towards the hotel lounge area—as if telling her that her usual spot was ready for her taking. She grins at him appreciatively gives him a wink.

Nicomaine hears the old man let out a hearty laugh as she made her way towards her favorite plush sofa by the large floor-length windows. She orders a cup of black coffee and asks the attendant for one hotel letter envelope—like she had been doing for the last thirteen or so years.

She pulls out paper and her favorite pen and starts to write as her cup arrives. Once in a while she finds herself staring at the lush garden beyond the pristinely clear windows and she smiles to herself. She spots the children outside running around the perimeter of the grandiose fountain, splashing water all around. She sees this old couple, who from what Mr. Walter had told her, spent every Thursday in the hotel on a date. Today they were sitting on one of the benches facing the fountain and quaint greenhouse, the old woman's head resting on her husband's shoulder, serene looks on their faces. 

This truly is the best spot, just like he used to tell me.

I'll definitely miss this place. So many people made wonderful memories in this place. I made so many wonderful memories here.

She shuffles between writing her letter and watching as throngs of people pass by in front of her, until after a while, everything looked like one colorful blur. As she starts to pack up her things, a sudden ray of light hits her eyes and she had to squint as she slowly looks up.

Nicomaine hears the distinct ring of the revolving door's bell as the silhouette of a tall, young man enters the hotel followed by at least two men in black suits. She cranes her neck in the attempts to get a better view of the young man, but his face was partially hidden by the harsh sunlight. Yet somehow, she spotted a small indent on his cheek.

Was that a dimple?

She watched him and posse walk away and blend into the blur of people rushing about the hotel lobby. Momentarily distracted, she looks at her note, decides to scribble in a couple of more words:

"You told me making our dreams come true takes time. You're right, like you always were. It'll take a while. But I'll be back.

Goodbye for now,

Menggay."

She slowly folds the paper and gingerly places it inside the hotel envelope.

She stood up and made her way towards old Mr. Walter, "Kuya Wally, sino yung lalakeng dumating? Bakit parang may mga body guards pa siya?"

The old man chuckles and nudges her a bit, " Gwapo ba, hija?"

"Kayo talaga, hindi ho yun ung ibig sabihin ko." She slightly blushes in response, "Nagtataka lang ako bakit kailangan madami pa syang bantay."

"Ah, that young man is the one and only son of the hotel's owner. He has been attending school abroad since he was a young boy and he finally came back to help his father manage the hotel."

"Hmm, ganon po ba? It's a pity I won't get to meet him any time soon."

"What do you mean, hija?"

"I'm leaving for a while, Kuya Wally." She taps the old man's shoulders and beams at him, " I finally got my scholarship abroad."

"Ata-girl, Nicomaine." He pats her head lightly, "I always knew you had it in you. Pero mamimiss din namin yung monthly visits mo. At saka paano na yung yearly tradition mo?"

"I'll figure that out some other time, Kuya." She checks her watch and notices the time, "Nako Kuya, I have to drop this letter and leave, ang dami ko pa pong aasikasuhin for my scholarship."

"Oh sige, hija. Huwag makakalimot, ha." The old man's weary eyes softened as he looked at this young woman he practically witness grow up.

"Of course, Kuya. This place is too special to forget."

She quickly hugs the old man goodbye and walks towards the hotel letterbox near the mahogany elevators. The letterbox still looked as elegant as ever, like it held something magical, something special. It still stood out in its beautiful shade of copper with subtle traces of gold. She traces the edges and its intricate carvings as she tried to capture the visual into her memory.

Nicomaine closes her eyes, whispered a silent prayer and drops the letter through the slot.

Maybe this one would finally be read.

Maybe this one would actually reach its owner.

******************

A/N: Hi guys, laying the predicate muna. Like Everglow, little details would matter, and will more or less pop up in the succeeding chapters.  However, unlike Everglow, I promise you this is pure fluff. Pambawi ko sa heartbreaking parts of Everglow. :)

Comment or tweet me for your thoughts. Hope you guys will like it as much as I enjoyed conceptualizing it. :)