Chapter Six

When she arrived at the school she was greeted by unfamiliar faces. Young students she had never met and then there was Erik. He ran to her and they embraced.
"How is he?"

"He can't walk."
She hurried passed Erik and up to Charles' room. She walked in and saw him sitting at his desk.
"Charles."
"Well, that was quick." he said with tears in his eyes.
Anne hugged him and they cried together.
"Now now, let's not cry over this. We knew it would happen right?"
"That doesn't make it any easier, Charles."
"How are you?" Charles asked.
"You're asking me how I am? Who cares? I'm here for you."
"Anne, you know I'm always worried about you."
"Yes I know. You never let me forget."

Anne stayed for a few days. Charles seemed in better spirits so she approached him about something.
"Do you want to come stay with me for a while?" she asked.
"Have you talked with Erik?"
"No I haven't..about what?"
"Nothing in general, I just wanted to know if you'd spoken to him."
"No Charles, I haven't. Did you hear what I asked you?"
"I heard you. No I don't want to come stay with you. I'm needed here. My students need me. You should leave with Erik."
"What? I thought we said we'd never talk about it."
"No Anne, you decided that, not me. I am still holding a torch."
"Oh Charles. I can't deal with this right now, I am so worried about you."
"I'm fine Anne, really. I just needed you to come here to bring my spirits up and they are, thank you. I just want you to be happy now."
"And what about you? Are you happy?" she asked.
"Right now? No. I am pissed off. But I will get over it, because...life goes on."
Anne nodded.
"I'm going later tonight on a train to Boston, then I will catch a flight home. I would love it if you visited soon."
"I will, I promise."

Anne packed up, but felt eyes on her. She turned to see Erik standing in her doorway.
"You're leaving?"
"Yes, I was only staying for a short time. I have to get back."
"Charles said you were catching a train and then getting a direct flight?"
"Yes, that's right. How are you?"
"I'm okay. Thinking of flying the coop myself. I have always wanted to visit Italy."
"Sounds great. Maybe Norway could be a stop on your way back?" Her whole body went hot with that question. Why did she say it, she thought.
"I'd like that." he said, moving towards her.
She turned quickly and grabbed her bag. He was so close to her, she turned hugged him and moved passed him to the door.
"Goodbye Erik."
"Bye, Anne."
She knew she would most likely never see him again. Once he disappears, he rarely resurfaces for some time. This thought made her eyes well up and by the time she reached Charles she was crying,
He thought it was just tears for him.
"I'm so sorry I have to go Charles. I love you."
"I know that some of those tears are for me, but you shouldn't leave like this. You know he'll never return here."
"I can't think about that Charles. I won't get into it right now with you, please."
"Anne I--."
"Don't, just don't."
"I love you." he finally said.
Anne headed for the door, Erik stood at the top of the steps, she smiled at him but said nothing. Then she was gone.
Charles went into his study, Erik followed a few minutes later. Charles didn't even have to turn around to know who it was.
"She's gone home, Erik."
"Yes."
"Do you love her?"
"I do."
"Then what are you doing here?"
"She doesn't want to be with me, Charles. She made that clear."
"She's a mess. She needs you. I've looked into her mind, you're all she thinks about, you and the kids."
"It doesn't matter. She's made her decision. I'll go my way and she'll go hers. She'll find love again in time, on her own terms."
"Oh, you poor sap." Charles said sarcastically.
"Excuse me?"
"You're both madly in love with each other. Always have been, yet neither of you will act on these feelings. Just go to her."
"I won't push her Charles. I've done that before and it only drives her away."
Charles pulled a photo from his pocket and handed it to Erik. It was the photo of the four of them coming back from apple picking.
"Do you see it? The happiness that I saw that day? You belong with them. This is not just about Anne. You love those kids, they are crazy about you. You need them as much as they need you."
Erik stared at the picture for a long time. Charles was right. Erik was crazy about them, he missed them all. He looked at Charles for approval.
"Better hurry." Charles said.
Erik bolted from the house, driving as fast as he could. Hoping he didn't miss her train.
He rushed through the station.
The train leaving for Boston was on Track 9. He rushed down the platforms- 6, 7, 8 and there it was. The train was just pulling off. He ran after it, holding out his hands and using his power to slow it down. He looked over and saw her through the window of one of the cars. He held out his hand and unlatched it from the car in front of it. The cars rolled to a stop and he threw his hands up and the doors swung open.
The passengers looked on in amazement. He stepped on and locked eyes with Anne.
"Erik? What are you doing?"
"I forgot, you have something of mine."
He reached into his pocket and pulled out the other half of the heart.
"I don't have the other half." Anne said, crossing her arms.
Erik laughed, "Empty your pockets then."
Anne smirked knowing he could sense it on her and she pulled out her half from her pocket.
"You came here for this?" she asked
"No, for love."
He held both pieces and they merged together forming one whole heart. Erik wrapped his arms around her and kissed her with all of his might.
"I love you, Anne. But then, you already knew that."
"I love you too. Will you come home?"
"There's no place I'd rather be."

----------------------
Thanks for reading my lovelies <3!