Chapter 2

Sky Harbour's POV

District 4

The words ring in my ears as I'm stood frozen, unable to move. I can hear the scream of River as she dies and then, I hear my sister. She screams at me that she did the right thing and I'm stood here doing nothing!

'No!' I scream running forward and clawing at the peacekeepers holding me away from her!

'River!' My words are turning into sobs as I carry on fighting the peacekeepers whilst they try to drag me away.

What are you waiting for?

I can't do it, I'm too weak. Too cowardly.

Volunteer, she needs you to do this for her.

'I volunteer as tribute!' I call, giving in to the voices whispering at my soul about how stupid and cowardly I am. River runs forward and cries, I then realise how I should have volunteered in a heartbeat. Not by giving in to the voices in my head.

'River, I'm going to be alright' I say, hugging her until we are dragged apart.

'I love you' I whisper silently, for I doubt that mother could bring herself to say goodbye.

I'm guided towards the creaking old steps to the stage and Martina offers me her hand. I feebly accept it and clasp my small hand with her fairly long fingers.

I might be imagining it, but I can feel vibrations coming from her hand.. Could she be shaking? Why would she be shaking? It's Summer here in four and I doubt she would be scared for me..?

'E-excellent, um... For the boys!'

My eyes widen as I stare at her in shock, her voice just faltered. I think I was wrong about her.

'Jay Sailboat'

Then the floor hits me in the face and the world goes black.

Darkness.

That's all can see, but I can hear much more than just the sound of my breathing.

I can hear sounds indicating that I'm on a train, which wo- JAY!

My eyes snap open in fear and I let out a yelp as I tumble off the end of the bed.

Hurridly, I rush towards the door. My shaking fingers fumble with the lock before prising the door open. I'm still in my reaping outfit but I don't care because I need answers more than anything right now!

I probably look mad, because I can feel that my hair is wild and my eyes are wide in fear but I keep running. I'm so concentrated on getting to Jay I don't notice the door swing open and suddenly, I'm sent flying backwards.

I scramble backwards away from whoever pushed me back but I when I see that it's Jay, it's like nothing matters any more.

'Oh my god!' He gasps and pulls me to my feet, wrapping me in a hug.

'Jay, it's happening again and I never got to say goodbye!!' I sob, I'm shaking violently but it isn't because of cool air from the hallway.

Jay cups my face with his hands and desperately try's to calm me down but I only see his mouth moving and no words coming out.

My eyes scan around in fear and I let out a high pitched scream as somebody injects something into my arm and the room shifts once more and the last faces I see are Jay and a man who could be some kind of doctor.