Just Another Teenage Mishap

2 Years Later

My name is Jane Tompson.

I have witnessed it all. 

My best friend died in front of me. I was kidnapped by my mother. I lived with her for many years with her abusing me. She murdered my friend in front of me. I thought my life was over, but I overcame it. I moved on. I am living my life for me, no one else. Me.

Today is my 16th birthday. I sit alone at the house I used to live at with my mother. The state wanted to put me in foster care, but I fought it. They let me live alone at this house, but every week they send someone up to check on me and make sure everything is going okay. They also send me enough money every week to pay the bills and buy food. Luckily, I have a job too, so I can buy things for myself and my friends.

I sit alone at my kitchen table with a birthday cake in front of me. There are 16 lit candles on the cake. 

"I wish, that maybe someday, I won't be all alone."

I blow out the candles. Suddenly, there is a crash behind me. I look over and see that one of my cabinet doors fell off. I sigh. Fantastic. I walk over to put it back on and notice a box sitting on the shelf inside. I take it out and study it. After a moment, I realize it is the box from Peter's uncle. He said I can open it when I turn 16, which I guess is now.

I walk over to the table and tear open the box. Inside is an envelope. It looks really old. I blow the dust off and open it. It is a very long, multi paged letter adressed to me. The person signed there name after the 1st paragraph, almost as though it is an introduction. Which, I guess it is. I read the first paragraph and throw the letter on the table. 

Dear Jane,

     I live in a small apartment in Colorado. It is 64c on 76 Lincoln Avenue, Denver Colorado. You really should come see me. I spent a while looking for an adress to send this too, and I do not even know if it will get to you. Please come see me, we have a lot to talk about.

                                                                                                                    ~ Charlie

Chills run through my body. I grab my coat and keys and hop in my car. I need to get to Colorado. 

Fast.