Chapter 5

It's 5 AM and I can't sleep. Slipping into slippers and a robe, I start wandering through the Training Center, looking for someplace to sit for awhile. I find a door marked "exit" and push it open. There is a set of stairs leading upwards and I find myself on the rooftop. It's got flowers everywhere and it's very pretty.

I settle on the edge of the roof and look out at the Capitol. Everyone's celebrating. Celebrating our deaths to come today. I hear footsteps and then see Peeta sitting beside me.

"Hey," he says.

"Hi." I reply. "Listen, Peeta, I'm sorry about lying down there."

"No, I understand. Somehow I think if need be, I'd do it too." He insists. "I'm sorry for getting angry. I don't want to be on bad terms tomorrow."

"I forgive you," I smile. "But, I don't--"

"I told you," he interrupts. "I won't leave you."

We stare out at the city for awhile before we each leave to go to our rooms. We'll need our sleep if we're to stay awake when the games begin.

But I still can't sleep. I stay awake, tossing and turning. It feels like an eternity before Cinna comes to get me up and dressed in a simple shift.

He takes me out onto the roof and there's a hovercraft waiting for me with a ladder. I place my hand on the metal rung, only to find I've been frozen in place. The ladder lifts slowly carrying me up to the top, but I still can't move. When I reach the inside, a woman in a white coat comes.

"This is your tracker, Prim," she says, holding a syringe. "The stiller you are the better I can place it."

I can't move, but I feel the sharp needle in my arm. This means that the Gamemakers will be able to track me wherever I go.

After a little while in the hovercraft we go down the ladder into the catacombs beneath the arena. An Avox leads us to a table with food, but I'm not very hungry. I know I should eat more because it could be very difficult to find food in the arena. But I only eat a plate of eggs and toast with peanut butter.

Afterwards, Cinna dresses me and we just sit, waiting until I have to go. I female voice comes through the speakers and tells me it's thirty seconds till it begins. I turn to leave before Cinna stops me.

He looks both ways as if to make sure we're alone before holding out a flower to me. A primrose. "Take this. To remember that though I can't bet, I'm wishing for you to win."

He tucks the primrose into my bra strap, it hidden safely beneath my shirt.

"Thank you," I engulf him in a hug, before the voice announces that it's fifteen seconds.

I step onto the platform, and the tube closes around me. I single tear rolls down my cheek. This could be the last time that I see another person other than the other tributes.

"Goodbye, Cinna," I sob.

As my platform lifts into the arena, I try to remember what Haymitch told me. Something about getting water rather than going for the items in the Cornucopia. I see Peeta getting ready to run away from the Cornucopia before I notice a backpack clearly marked with a red cross, the medical sign. I look back at him and he realizes what I'm planning. I need that pack. I know things about healing it could be helpful.

Peeta looks like he's going to run off anyway, when he remembers his promise to me. I won't leave your side. As the gong sounds, I run for the center, towards the pack. When I get there, the boy tribute from 3 blocks my way, already with a sword in hand. He comes running at me but Peeta crashes into him and knocks him away.

I grab the pack at the same time as Elm, from District 7, I remember. We both yank it back and forth but make no attempt to hurt the other. I can't. He looks a little older than me, maybe thirteen, with oval shaped glasses and dark hair. I can't hurt him. I think he feels the same way. He let's go and settles for an axe and foot away, and runs off. I sling the pack onto my back and grab a knife a few feet away, and run towards the trees, hoping Peeta will follow.

It looks like he either killed or severely injured the District 3 boy. Which is impressive, considering he had no weapon and the other boy did.

"Come on!" He says, not slowing his run.

I follow him through the trees, over streams and past bushes. Eventually, we settle down below a tree and I open the pack.

"Why would you do that?" Peeta asks. "Haymitch said to go look for water first."

"Sorry," I pant. "But medicine is my life. I need this."

Inside the backpack is canteen, bandages, and a disinfectant. This will help. I'm surprised the Gamemakers put this out there. I suppose they want to keep some of the tributes healthy and alive so that there will be an epic blood battle.

"Let's just find some shelter." Peeta stands and offers me his hand.

He finds a nice tree and climbs it, then helps me up. He tells me to sleep, because he can tell I'm tired. He'll make sure I don't fall out.

I doze off, but have awful dreams. I find myself in a cold, dark mine. There are men and women repeatedly hitting the walls with pickaxes. Peacekeepers go around, whipping people who're slacking. I feel a whip go across my back. I let out a cry, and start mining with the axe in my hands.

Then, there's a rumbling, and the sound of explosions farther down in the mine. I drop my axe and run away. Many people are pushing and shoving trying to get out, and I don't stand a chance at escaping.

The explosion is getting closer. "Help!" I scream. "Someone help me!"

Then I explode into a million pieces. Is this what happened to Father? The feeling, the pain? Now I'm back home in the Seam, watching Katniss and Mother in tears.

"I'm here!" I cry. "I'm okay!"

But they don't hear. Katniss now yells at Mother. She just sits there, like she did when Father died.

"Would Prim want you to be like this?" She yells. "You owe it to her to be strong! But anytime something happens you drop everything, your life, your children for your own pain!"

Katniss turns away, disgusted. They can't hear or see me. Is this what's happening at home now? Is Katniss still hurting Mother?

"Prim," a voice whispers in my ear.

I awake with a jolt, eyes wide. "Peeta," I sigh. "It's just you."

"You were calling out in your sleep." He looks concerned. "I was worried someone might hear. We should move again."

"How long was I asleep?" I rub my eyes.

"No more than half an hour." He shrugs. "No one came, though."

"'Kay. Let's go."

We trek through the trees, then hide behind a tree when we hear someone noisily coming. I grab my knife, and prepare to throw at the tributes back. They're gonna be gone in a minute.

"Throw it, Prim!" Peeta whispers.

I let out a sigh and slump against the tree. They're gone. I can't do it. I can't kill.

It's going to be hard to stay alive.