Chapter 9. Different Light.

Start from the beginning

"Do you need something?"

"Yes, entertainment." He grinned back, and I felt my pants dropping at the sight of his sleepless and fun expression, which then turned into a frown as he realized that it probably didn't sound right. "I didn't mean it in a wrong way, just get over here."

I moved closer to his bed and looked over for the usual chair by the corner, when he stopped me.

"Not the chair, get in here." He moved the blanket away from one side, and with his good hand offered me one of his pillows, gesturing me to get in and I almost laughed out loud.

There's no way.

I sat down on the end of the bed and covered my legs with the far side of his blankets, I could feel the fuzzy feeling covering me as I rested my body on the side with the pillow he gave me. I was feeling a little uncomfortable with the arrangement; silently afraid that Lori was going to burst into the room and I was going to learn my lesson from getting cozy with a patient.
But truth be told, he was being very bossy and persuasive.

"Do you feel weird about being here with me?" I felt myself smiling at the absurdity of the situation, this was everything but weird, it was pleasant, almost dreamy. "I felt bad from watching you sleep on the couch."

"Not weird, it's just unexpected... I mean, I don't know if I'm going to get in trouble for this."

"I'm fine by it, so don't sweat it." His bright eyes went soft, and his lips quirked with amusement. "Besides, this is an innocent midnight talk."

"Maybe you should probably try to sleep once more."

"I slept way too much during the day, so I'm fine." His expression then gloomed and he was frowning once more. "And I kind of have something I need to ask you."

This was really a surprise, my heart raced with thinking the nature of his question.

"What is it?"
He looked at me, as if considering if he was going through with it or not.
I was already curious.

"I was advised to get, uhm, psychological counseling before I leave." His index finger was touching the side of his lips, and I kinda knew where this was going. "They offered me just to do one or two sessions, but I'm not sure about it."

"Why are you not sure? What's the worst that could happen?"

"I just don't feel it necessary." His lips were mouthing the words but his eyes were scared, terrified enough that I quickly looked away to keep his feelings from transferring to me. "I'm fine."

"They're probably not saying that you're not fine, but it wouldn't hurt. I don't really know what happened, only you know that, but this could lead to stress and other pathologies that you probably don't need."

"I was afraid you may say that."

"It's for your own good." I was hoping that I was giving him safe advice, it was already a little overwhelming to know that he trusted enough in me to ask me about this.

"I'm actually fine."
No he wasn't, I didn't even know him that much, but it was clear to say that he was really bad at disguising his humor and thoughts.
"I feel calm that the person is locked away, and yes, it was a horrible night, but I don't wish to recall the details, you know?"

"Have you talked about this to anybody?"

He answered me by shaking his head from side to side, his curls fluffing a little by the ends.

"Not even your family?"

Head shake again.

"Then you need to do it, soon." I pressed the subject, hoping to heaven for him to see it under a different light, for him to understand the consequences of not dealing with this right now. "Red flag right here, buddy."

"The police department's been trying to reach for me, but I just don't feel ready."

"Okay, then why don't you do the counseling and then the official police stuff?"

"I don't know what to do, honestly." He mentioned quietly, alerting me that he was already beginning to feel ashamed. I stood upright on the edge of the bed and wallowed in the awkward silence that lingered between us.

"Can we pretend that this isn't happening yet?"

"Just for tonight?" I offered him.

"Just for tonight." He said to me and moved his body deeper inside the covers, his legs really close to mine.

"Thank you, Natalia, for everything that you've done for me."

My heart suddenly felt too large for my chest, my lungs compressed from the effort to draw air. To think that some days ago I was looking at him like a stranger and now I was sharing a blanket with him, it was almost absurd.

I couldn't process it.