Chapter 7 // The Hockey Stick Conundrum

Comenzar desde el principio

"Well what do you want me to tell him?" Mitch asked.

I pursed my lips, but didn't say anything. This wasn't any of Mitch's business, nor anyone else's. I'd call him when I felt like it. I snatched my television remote control off of the coffee table next to me. Flipping on the TV, TSN Sports Centre appeared on screen. Letting it play, I pretended to be interested, hoping to deter Mitch from questioning me again. My plan almost worked until a very familiar face popped up onto the screen.

Lord kill me now.

On the screen stood Auston Matthews, who was being interviewed regarding the upcoming World Cup of Hockey. It was starting next week and then the Leafs season was soon to follow. I could feel Mitch's eyes burning into me, but I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction. Rather than switching the channel, I pulled my knees up to my chest and got comfortable. Staring at the screen, Auston's voice played through the speakers as the interviewer questioned him.

"He got us tickets by the way,"

"What?" I questioned, being pulled from the interviewer.

"Auston, their first game is the eighteenth, which is a Saturday, so I knew you and Stephy would be able to come. He got us all tickets to come watch." Mitch explained.

I sighed. On the inside I was very thankful, and excited for the opportunity to go. But I was still embarrassed about everything. I didn't want to have to face anyone.

"Huh," I uttered. "That was nice of him."

"He thought you'd want to come," Mitch replied.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I'll have to check my schedule,"

Mitch groaned, "Jesus Miller you need to get over yourself. He might not have outright told you but he likes you. Like really likes you. And you're literally pushing that away just because you kissed him?"

I gasped, how did he know that? I glared at him, "Mitch that is none of your concern,"

"Like fuck Alyssa. I live with the guy and I'm dating your best friend. You're a very popular topic meaning I get to hear about you all the time. Auston literally won't stop talking about you. He feels awful because you've made him feel like he's taken advantage of you."

I bit my lip. That wasn't what I wanted. Sighing, I looked at Mitch, "That wasn't it Mitch, I just, I just needed some time,"

He nodded, and placed his hand on my shoulder in a friendly gesture, "I know that Alyssa. Trust me, I do. But Auston doesn't, and he won't hear that from me. You need to talk to him, and be honest. He'll understand."

I nodded solemnly. I owed him that much.

"And I know you like him too,"

My eyes widened and I sighed. He wasn't wrong. I would be lying if I said I didn't have any feelings for Auston. He was incredibly attractive for one. I couldn't deny that. He was such a warm individual as well, both physically and metaphorically. The night we'd spent together proved it. And his lips, god his lips were so soft, and they tasted of peppermint. I just couldn't get enough of him. And that scared me, which was why I decided to leave when I did.

"Okay so I'm ready to go!" Steph exclaimed as she bounced into the living room. As she noticed our body language she settled down. "What's going on?" She questioned.

I sighed, "Nothing,"

She placed her hands onto her hips, "Alyssa Marie Miller, don't you dare lie to me,"

Mitch rolled his eyes, "I asked her to talk to Auston,"

"And?" Steph asked, giving me a look.

I stood up, grabbing my car keys. I'd be driving alone, while Steph and Mitch tailed me. I walked past Steph and into the main foyer.