13 | CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Start from the beginning

"Lovely choice, what do you have in mind?" The man sounded so excited to be giving my a tattoo. I bet he could see this is my first one and wanted to impress me enough to come get more.

I pulled out my phone a brought up a photo of a camera with a quote under it.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. By Ansel Adams.

I was told this quote by my father when he first gave me my camera. He told me it made him never give up his passion for photography and that he hopes it will help me never give up either.

"That's perfect," he smiled excitedly at us. "Go take a seat over there," he pointed to a chair, "I'll be over shortly."

I took my seat and got comfy, Ashton sat next to me.

"You're not nervous?" He asked.

Just him asking made my nerves tighten up. Why was I so willing to get a tattoo? I've never really wanted one yet I suggested it. Was its Ashton presence causing me to do the thing I've never done before? Or was it another part of me breaking their way out. The real side of me.

"Nope," I tell him.

"I was when I got my first tattoo," he tells me.

"What tattoo?" I let slip out of my mouth in curiosity. I'm slowly learning more about Ashton every day. Every minute. Every hour.

Ashton stood up lifting up his tee shirt. A silhouette of a wolf was permanently inked into his skin, just below the rib cage. He sat down again and looked at me.

"Does it mean anything?" I asked.

He smiled, "Well in native American mythology it's a sign of courage and strength, but in other cultures, it means trusting your emotional instincts."

"I remember when I tatted Ashton," the man came out with a fresh needle and ink. "He was as scared as a mouse that was face to face with a cat."

"Oh really?" I turn to Ashton in shock, with a smile on my face. The man took a seat next to me and lifted up my shirt to reveal the area I was getting a tattoo in.

"Hey! Everyone can be scared of something." He says defensively.

"So you're scared of needles," I say to him.

"No."

"Yes, yes he is." The man laughs slightly.

I chuckled a bit.

"Now try to relax your muscles," the man told me.

I took a deep breath while looking at the ceiling. I felt Ashton interlace his fingers with my hand when the man started to ink my body. I think he was a little nervous.

It felt like tiny needles repeatedly piercing my skin, but the pain wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I stared at myself in a mirror that touched the ceiling when he finished. I had my shirt lifted up so I could see the final project.

I love it.

"Thank you so much!" I tell the guy.

"Do you mind if I take a photo?" He asked. "I usually post my art on social media."

"Of course," I say to him.

He snapped a photo of my side and tagged me in the post on Instagram. In a matter to seconds, I got a text from Grace.