Everything A Girl Needs

The sun beamed down blazingly, making my eyes squint. i hummed along to the song playing on the radio  jerking my shoulders while gripping the steering wheel, attempting to dance to the beat. I  laughed loudly. I was a terrible dancer, and even worse while driving.

     Sighing in relief, I pulled my car into the familiar car park of Candy's, the clothing store where I worked part time. I quickly unfastened my seatbelt and began admiring myself in my compact mirror. I smiled to myself, liking what I saw. I knew I was pretty, everyone knew, and I wasn't a liar, so why would I go around saying I wasn't pretty?

     I giggled a little, and hopped out of my car, before slamming the door shut. I glanced down at my watch and gasped. I was fifteen minutes late. 'SHIT!' I roared, and began racing down the sidewalk, my high heels clip-clopping against the concrete.

  When I finally reached the gleaming glass doors of the store, I darted in, and began dashing down isles searching for my co-owner Maria. 'MARIA!' I shouted when I saw her, and I watched as she turned around, her eyebrow raised. 

    'Nessy?' She said, biting her lip. 'Where have you been? Melinda's going crazy looking for you!'

       I looked down, my heart racing. 'Ugh, no...' I sighed. 'She's going to kill me.'

  Maria rolled her eyes. 'Obviously, she'd kill you anyways, even if you perfectly on time!'

    I chuckled, nodding. 'Mhmm! Well I better try and blend in, and pretend I was here all along,'

  'Yes! Good idea, I'm finishing up in a few minutes, I've been here all morning.'

   'Yeah, okay! But wait one sec..' I pulled out a tube of lipgloss from my purse  and handed it to her. 'You left this at my house last week, I thought you might want it back.'

    'Aww, thanks Boo!' Maria grinned and snatched it from my hand, before hugging me tightly. 'I love you, girl! Bye!' 

   I waved at her turned back, as she strolled out of the store. I sighed in disappointment. The only fun days of work were the days Maria was there. All the other girls that worked there were prissy and annoying. Maria was the perfect friend for me. She was pretty and all the guys wanted her. I needed to be friends with a girl like that, why would I want to be friends with someone who was ugly and unpopular? I laughed to myself and headed to the front desk to put away my purse and jacket. Once my things were put away, I began picking up shirts from the floor, and hanging them up again. 'Ugh, I really need to get a better job,' I groaned, dreaming of how amazing it would be to work in my own office creating my own fashion trends. Becoming famous and being the next Victoria Beckham. I shuddered, reentering reality. That would never happen, I'd be stuck in Candy's with my irritating boss Melinda forever.

    'VANESSA BAKER!' A croaky voice roared from behind me. I turned around in fear to see Melinda standing with hands on hips ,her face boiling with rage. 'WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN THIS MORNING?!'

      'Right where I should be! Right here!' I lied and forced a smile. 'Picking up clothes from the floor and hanging them back up!'

      'Ha Ha Ha,' Melinda muttered, rolling her eyes. 'Got any more jokes for me? Be at my office in five minutes and we'll discuss your punishment.'

  I stared at her in shock. She was treating me like I was a student in elementary school. Punishment? I was twenty-one years old. I shouldn't be getting punished for anything. I never commited a crime, never stole, never hurt anyone. 

   'Yeah, okay.' I mumbled, and stuck up my middle finger at her when she turned away, but then realized that there may be cameras, so I quickly put my hand down,  trying to act casual like I had done nothing wrong.

           * * *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * 

    'Vanessa? Do you realize how many girls would love your job?' Melinda screeched in her squeeky voice that sounded like a constipated cat.

          'Oh yeah, everyone would love to work in this fabulous place!' I said sarcastically, but Melinda didn't notice my sarcasm.

     Melinda smiled to herself and leaned back on her swival chair.  'Of course! This is the most popular clothing store in L.A. You are lucky I gave you the job. You should apreciate it.' 

   'I do. I am so greatful! I love you and everything you do, you are amazing.' I said, laughing a little. Melinda was oblivious to the fact that I was mocking her and being sarcastic. She was so dumb. 

     I began playing with a strand of hair, ignoring Melinda who was ranting on about how amazing she was. She was far from amazing. I was way prettier than her. She should be kissing up to me! Not the other way around. 

   'DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!' Melinda barked, when she was finally done talking about herself.

 'Yes, I'm sorry about being late.' I grunted, and hopped up from my chair.

 'I'M NOT DONE YET!'  Melinda growled, her fists clenched. 'But I'm going to let you off punishment this time. You co-operated, and admitted that I am wonderful.'

   I grinned, nodding. 'Yes. Now can I-'

  'But next time,' Melinda said, interrupting me. 'You will be punished, okay?'

  'Yeah, whatever.' I muttered, and headed out of her office. I shook my head, rolling my eyes. That woman never knew when to shut up. But I was used to it now. I faced her every day, today was just a typical day in the life of Vanessa Baker.