she's not here anymore.

An alarm rings at. A ginger freckly girl turns over to look at it. She turns over and presses the top of it to stop the ringing. It reads five AM.

     She climbs out of bed. She stands in front of the mirror briefly and turns away from it quickly to get dressed. She picks up a grey t-shirt that shouldn’t fit a girl of her age, but does with her petite figure. She puts on some shorts but takes them off and puts on some ripped skinny jeans.

     She opens the bathroom door and picks up her toothbrush. She squirts a dab of toothpaste onto the toothbrush carefully as though not to drop any onto the floor.

     “She’s not here anymore” a voice comes from the doorway.

     The girl jumps round, startled.

     “You can drop the toothpaste you know” He says, smiling at her.

     “But it’s a mess” The girls says, shivering.

     “But it can be cleaned” he says, laughing and smiling.

     “But she wouldn’t like it” She replies, holding onto her right arm with the other.

     “She’s not here anymore. Now, I tell you what, give me the toothpaste” He smiles at her, taking the toothpaste as she hands it to him.

     He squirts it all the over the bathroom floor. The girls reaches out to stop him from doing it but he moves it away from her squirting up the wall.

     “Look, Leah. You don’t need to be scared of her anymore” He says putting his arm around her back “Go back to sleep now. School starts at ten. You’ve got four more hours sleep before you have to get up and get ready. Enjoy your sleep” He says pushing her through the door gently, in the direction of her bedroom.

     “Actually go to sleep” He shouts through to an awake Leah.