"Here I go," I said, mostly to encourage myself.

"Have a lovely evening, miss."

~*~

My mother pulled me across the room and back, anxious to greet and speak to as many people as possible. I was thankful that every person she approached was someone she had spoken to before, even if a few of them didn't recognize her. Nothing would be more humiliating than if she attempted to work her way into an acquaintance who had no desire for her company.

I understood it was expected for me to marry well. All young ladies had that expectation. With two younger sisters, though, my mother would expect me to be in a position to make sure they had a future. To that end, friendships must be forged with anyone and everyone.

Somehow, after an hour, I became separated from Mama, and I didn't immediately see anyone with whom I was acquainted. Well, I recognized several people, but I was unable to recall the name that went with the face.

Dancing had not yet begun, and I had no interest in a game of cards. Just for something to do, I went in search of the punch. As I wove my way through the crowd, a burst of laughter rang out behind me and, a moment later, a body crashed into me.

Knocked off balance, I stumbled several steps and collided right into a gentleman's back. "I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed, pulling back. I felt my cheeks heat up with embarrassment and I couldn't bring myself to raise my gaze. "Please excuse me."

"I do not believe it was your fault, Miss Burnham."

Recognizing the kind, deep voice, I lifted my eyes. Mr. Gerard Landon looked over my head, a disapproving expression in his blue eyes. "Larke, apologize to the lady," he said, a note of firm determination in his voice.

Twisting around, I faced the gentleman who had knocked into me. I had a vague notion that I'd met him at some point. He was tall, well dressed, and now looked bored with the whole situation. "My apologies, miss," he said, offering a slight bow. "I did not see you there."

How would he have, since I'd been behind him? It would have been churlish not to, so I gave a brief nod of forgiveness. The corner of his mouth quirked up in a smirk, and then he turned back to his conversation.

"You are unharmed, are you not, Miss Burnham?" Landon asked, his eyes focusing on me.

"Completely," I said quickly, glancing around. Though a few had taken notice of the incident, it appeared all were otherwise occupied now. "Again, I am so sorry I collided with you as I did."

He shook his head with a light laugh. "I believe we established that it was not your fault. Allow me to find you a seat and then some refreshment," he said as he held his arm out to me.

Nothing seemed better than to put the entire thing behind me. I put my hand at the crook of his elbow. "Thank you, Mr. Landon."

Before I knew it, I was seated along the wall, and Mr. Landon had vanished from sight in search of the punch. To cool my still burning cheeks, I unfurled my fan and waved it in front of my face. Mama would have a great deal to say once she heard about what had happened.

No doubt she would blame me for not watching where I had been going.

I tried to spot my mother amidst the crowd, but it was a vain effort. Seated as I was, I had no good view.

"I hope this is to your liking, Miss Burnham," Mr. Landon said as he approached. He handed me the glass of punch. "What has surprised you?"

Were my emotions written on my face? Once again, I felt the heat of my embarrassed blush on my cheeks. Careful not to spill the punch on his white gloves as I took the glass from him, I said, "To be honest, it would not have been the first time a gentleman became distracted while fetching me something to drink."

"Such men were not true gentlemen then." He glanced at the seat next to me.

Shocked by his apparent desire to remain beside me and appalled at my own lapse of manners, I gestured to the chair. "Please, do be seated, sir."

As he did so, I sipped the liquid he had brought me, not tasting a thing. Attempting not to panic, I tried to think of a new topic of conversation as he didn't seem inclined to leave me right away. "Do you come to London for every Season?" I asked, recalling that his primary dwelling was in the country.

His nose wrinkled slightly. "Indeed. My mother demands my presence as she cannot convince my older brother to do so."

"You do not enjoy your time here?"

"I would not say that. However, I do believe there are important matters that could use my attention on my estate. I have an excellent agent, of course, but I prefer to keep a close eye on things." Mr. Landon lifted his shoulders in a shrug. "What can I say? I am unfashionable."

"Oh, no, I don't think anyone could say that!" I resisted the urge to reach out and lay my hand on his arm. He would only say such a thing if someone—his own mother, perhaps?— had said it to him before. "It is admirable that you are concerned about your tenants and the state of your holdings."

Mr. Landon laughed. "Holdings? I am not so fortunate to have that, Miss Burnham. It is a small, inconsequential estate that keeps me as you see me. Greater men would hardly bother with it."

"Then, I would not think of them as 'great' men." My goodness, why had I said such a thing? Mama would disapprove of this conversation. "Forgive me. I can hardly be relied upon for an expert opinion on such things. I have only left London a few times."

My companion watched with what could only be interest. "And where have you visited?"

"My father had a close friend in the country. We visited the family several summers in a row, though after Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair died the visits stopped." I hadn't thought about the Sinclairs in ages. "I always looked forward to the times we were in the country."

"I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Sinclair some six years ago. He was an amiable man, much like his son."

My thoughts traveled backward. I vaguely remember Mr. Jonathan Sinclair, someone who'd been old enough to intimidate me. What had become of the Sinclair daughter? She'd been kind, and I had fond memories of our times running free outside.

The sound of the musicians tuning their instruments reached my ears. Mr. Landon stood up and faced me. "Would you do me the honor of a dance, Miss Burnham?"

All thoughts of my old friend vanished as I put my hand in his. "The honor would be mine."

Author's Note: Thank you for reading Eugenia! If you would like to support the author and read the published/polished version (and avoid any ads!), you can grab your own ebook copy!