•twenty-five•

Start from the beginning

She nodded slowly.

Journal closed.

Dumbledore chuckled, "That's something we'll focus on later on. Just wanted to see how open your mind was at the moment. So, what happened with Professor Slughorn?"

"Well--"

"That's fine."

"Sir?"

"I already know. I've expected something like this, I do know what happened at Beauxbatons of course. This is just part of your powers experiencing a kind of mood swing. Legilimens puberty," he laughed.

"Ha."

"Nothing to worry about. You'll have a few detentions with Slughorn and I'll let you off with a stern warning. I don't want this to happen again. It is not your responsibility to punish students and you shall not invade their privacy. As frustrating as that may seem, it is not your duty to reign justice. You may go."

Journal opened.

Ara stood, and left.

-----

Lily was waiting for her in the common room, and when Ara arrived she patted the spot next to her on the couch.

"Lily, I'm so sorry I don't know what came over me I--"

"Shut up. I want to talk first," Lily pursed her lips and flipped her hair over her shoulder. "First of all, that was pretty bad ass Jones. He totally deserved a good put down. Second of all, you might've gone a little too far. And I can't blame you because if I had your crazy powers I probably would have done what you did a long time ago, maybe even worse. But listen, I can't lose another friend. Especially losing a friend over losing a friend. I mean that would be terrible. So (A/N: y'all don't realize how badly I wanted to write 'CASH ME OUSSIDE HOW BOUDAH?' it took some serious self control) I'm going to let it slide because I love you and I can't lose you and I understand."

Ara hugged her friend tightly.

"What'd Dumbledore say?" Lily asked.

"His exact words, and I quote, 'Legilimens puberty'."

Evans burst out laughing and Ara laughed with her.

"So no detention or anything?"

"Just a few with Slughorn, but a lot less worse than I was expecting."

-----

Remus returned about two days later. Ara was dreading it. Although all of her friends had accepted her apology, she still couldn't forgive herself. She couldn't imagine what Remus thought of her.

When he came back to the common room that night after a long day in the Hospital Wing (Madam Pomfrey had to heal any deep scratches or wounds), her worries disappeared.

He greeted her with a long hug and kissed her unashamedly in front of their friends.

"It's alright," he whispered. "They told me about what happened, it's okay."

But somewhere deep down, she knew it wasn't. And that one name stayed engraved in the back of her mind.

-----

Tonks was clumsy. If Ara had to describe her in one word that would be it.

Ara and Remus had been curled up under their favorite tree, reading each other parts of the assigned reading from Professor Binns, when Tonks came to introduce herself.

Remus saw her come over (how could you not with that bright pink hair that was admirably bold) and sat up, closing the textbook and removing his arm from around her shoulders.

But whatever. It had just been really comfortable and stuff.

"Remus!" she greeted, exchanging some super complex hand shake with him. "Gosh, where's the year gone? I haven't seen you at all."

"It's been a busy one."

"You must be Ara Jones! Nice to meet you."

Tonks stuck out her hand and Ara shook it.

Somehow, in the time that Tonks moved her hand back to her side she was able to knock over both of their bags and spill the contents everywhere.

"Oh Merlin, I'm sorry. Here let me help."

Remus and Tonks both leaned over at the same time and bonked heads. They pulled away laughing.

Tonks had a cute laugh.

It sounded nice with Remus' cute laugh. Ara wanted to tell Tonks that that cute laugh was hers to listen to.

Tonks plopped down next to them.

"So, how's your year been?"

Okay so she promised herself she wouldn't, but I mean, how could she not?

Ara read her, um let's say body language, and discovered that Tonks still had some feelings. You know the kind.

As Lupin talked with his old friend, Ara occasionally throwing in a response, she made a mental list.

1. Tonks also seemed fascinated in watching Remus run his fingers through his hair.

2. and smiling back at his perfect smile.

3. and following his hands as he motioned during conversation.

4. and laughing at his clever remarks.

Eventually Ara gave up on her list and involved herself more in the conversation. The two of them were so easy to talk with.

When Tonks got up to leave Ara was a little disappointed. As much as she hated to admit it, Tonks was really sweet and hard not to like.

Unfortunately though, they wouldn't see her again for a while, because testing was soon and other things got in the way.

And yes that was unfortunate. Because Ara was not jealous, not at all.

~~~~~

A/N: aw I think her not-jealousy is kinda cute

don't worry though bc Tonks won't be around much this year so it's just some chill foreshadowing

Thanks for reading! (: