Chapter 22: Of Selfish and Cute things...

Start from the beginning

Instead the kitchen was entirely empty. Weird…usually Sebastian is cooking by now. Kat pursed her lips, there was something seriously off in the Phantomhive household today. Deciding to check the library where he had said he would be dusting, she set off.

She opened the door and peeked inside; sure enough he stood there with his back to her, wiping down the windows. Quietly she slipped inside and tiptoes closer, why isn’t he noticing me? Usually he notices me.

With a sigh of disgust she dropped the silent approach, earning no reaction from the butler. “Okay, Sebastian, what is wrong with you today? Seriously?”

He looked at her with surprise over his shoulder, “Kat, are you finished already? Finish the laundry with Meyrin then.” He went to move passed her to the door.

She blocked him, narrowing her eyes, “Not until you tell me what’s wrong. Is it about this morning?”

“Nothing is wrong.”

A small shred of anger made her temper begin to kindle, “You are lying to me.”

“I am not, it has nothing to do with you what so ever.”

A red film descended over Kat’s eyes an instant before there was a brief flash of pain. Before she knew it she was poised on Sebastian’s chest, fangs bared, and claws ready. How dare he lie to me! I could smell that lie a million miles away! He must think that I am stupid! I’ll show him, I’ll… Kat blinked and pulled back. What was she doing?

Sebastian blinked in similar surprise beneath her.

My god, what have I done?Tearing away Kat ran from the room and down the hall and out of the house, towards the forest.

Feline tears pearled at the edges of her eyes, I’m a monster, if I attack friends so easily, that’s all I can be. I have to get away, before I really hurt someone.

______________________________________________________________

Kat trotted through the forest moving as smoothly and quietly as a shadow, the moonlight cutting across her back and shoulders, showing where she moved. She had been walking for hours now, her soft paw pads were cut and bleeding in places and sore all over.

It was a temptation to go back to the manor, to where she could curl up in her bed, warm and happy, looking forward to work tomorrow. But she knew that she couldn’t go back, if she did and hurt Sebastian or one of the others she wouldn’t be able to live with herself.

Why did this have to happen to me? Was there some cosmic meeting saying, yes lets totally ruin her life so she can never experience happiness or friendship again. She growled at her own thoughts, startling an owl into flight.

Well I never!

And on top of that there are voices too; I’m a monster and crazy, a wonderful mixture. The big cat’s stomach growled, reminding her that she hadn’t eaten anything that morning or afternoon, what with everything going on it had completely slipped her mind. As if today could get any more worse. Another stomach growl and she snorted, I suppose I could try to hunt something, at the very least it would be a learning experience.

Kat lifted her head and sniffed, the scent of a herd of deer a couple hundred yards off reached her. That will work. Picking up the pace she started to run, her sore paws protesting each step. Closer…closer…there they are! Kat burst from the forest into a small meadow.